DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an AGP T28 turbocharger in my car. In the process I had to bend the exaust a little bit because the downpipe was on the way. There was no other way around since I had the exaust done in a shop and the whole thing is one straight pipe.

Well, wasn't that a stupid idea ? Now by the end of what is supposed to be the downpipe (remember, the whole exaust is one piece!)there's white smoke coming out of it, lots... First I thought they were my tires but I just looked today and confirmed, there's a part of the exaust that is blackened like burned and the smoke is coming out of that area!

Could this be causing a major performance slowdown ?

And most importantly are there any easy solutions ? I don't want to throw the whole exaust away, it costed almost 1k :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
Exhaust leaks after the turbo are more of a inconvinience than a performance issue. Is it leaking where the DP flange meets the O2 housing? Is it just a burnt gasket?

·
Banned
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didn't put a gasket there, the last one just fell apart. I'm starting to think it might not be the exaust, because the Oil levels won't move go after the middle level on my stock gauge... it used to go way up before... I don't know where's the problem, might not be the exaust, it sure is in that area though, by the end of the downpipe. Like underneath the car in the center, after the front wheels in terms of distance. I'm gonna jack it up tomorrow and have a look... that shit smells bad

·
Registered
412 Posts
There should be a gasket in there, if it fell apart it means it was not tight enough or not mating properly allowing the exhaust gas to burn it up. I bet a properly seated gasket will fix that. Now the smoke could be burning oil. When you go under you will have a better idea. If it is around the DP then it could be the oil return leaking somewhere allowing oil to drip in the exhaust area which would cause the burn. What color is the smoke?

·
Registered
412 Posts
White smoke = water. Go under the car turn it on (make sure it is on jacks for safety) and see if maybe one of your water lines to the turbo is leaking and landing on the exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts