DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 GSX had one problem that I cannot figure out. I am getting this wierd exhaust groan/rattle from 3500 RPM all the way to redline. I originally thought it was my 14b exhaust housing which was cracked, but I replaced it and it still does the same thing. I pulled on the throttle and listened a little closer and it seems to be coming from near the timing belt or right under the timing belt. Anyone have any idea? i'm pretty sure it's exhaust related, but wanted to get some ideas before having my local shop diagnose it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
obviously check to see if there is any metal touching the exhaust that can cause that rattle but also check your pullys to see if they are off balance or the crank pulley is seperating. Theres not much more that can cause this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not so much a rattle... more like a very strong vibration and a groan of death. would a bad turbo also cause this?

·
Registered
384 Posts
peckgsx05 said:
it's not so much a rattle... more like a very strong vibration and a groan of death. would a bad turbo also cause this?
no. It almost sounds drivetrain related at this point...I do not know what to tell you other than try to take it to a shop and have them diagnose it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
1) check crank pulley for seperation
2) drain oil to check for metal shavings
3) pinpoint the noise more...have someone rev it (if it happens when there is no load on the engine)
4) drivetrain...transfer case?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i didnt give this information before.

havent checked the crank pulley (tomorrow i'll check it)
oil does not have any shavings
i revved it with the throttle cable while outside the car and the whine/groan/rattle happens under no load at all
drivetrain and transfer case dont seem to be it... just out of a hunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts