DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok while i am replacing the engine in my car, i figure i will add an exhaust as well. i did try and do a search, but after reading through about 15 pages of results i still didn't find waht i was looking for.

to start with, i already have a hayame muffler on my stock exhaust pipe. i really like the muffler, and it sounds great. at http://www.ahpproducts.com/ahpproducts.com/id2.html i found that they sell the pipe without mufflers. i have an arc welder at my disposal, and can weld the muffler on myself. that's no problem :D my question is... would a 2.5" be enough for me, or should i just do it all out and get 3" has anybody done business with this place? or would it be better for me to just go to a local muffler shop and have them bend my own exhaust and weld on the muffler?

i am also going to get a downpipe, and was wondering what size would be a good size to go with, and which would yield the best performance. i'm not looking to go with an all out 9 second dsm, but i would like to get into the mid/low 13's. price is also a concern... i don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a dp, but i don't want a piece of crap either. i do plan on adding a testpipe, or getting a DP that replaces the cat with a straight pipe. any recomendations?

lastly, i know this has gotten long, and thank you for reading if you actually made it this far :) i don't want somethign really loud. i like my car to be quiet and inconspicuous. i know the turbo quiets things down quite a bit... but i would like to keep it as quiet as possible, while getting the best performance possible. if i missed anything (which i probably did) feel free to add/comment/criticize. :) i do have a ported 2nd gen exhaust manifold already, any other suggestions?

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, after digging through some REALLY old posts, i have come up with most of the information i was looking for :) i have decided that a 2.5 mandrel downpipe, test pipe, and a 3" cat back would be plenty for what i intend to do with the car. there are a few questions i don't know about yet though...

how loud would this kind of setup be? i don't want obnoxious honda loud. what about if i took a resonator, put a couple flanges on the ends of it, and used that in place of the test pipe?

also, how would i go about connection the 3" catback to the 2.5" downpipe, or should i just go with a 2.5" catback? i'm sure either would flow better than the stock pipe... but i don't know how much of a difference there would be between the 3" catback and a 2.5" any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
im just curious this winter i will be purchasing my exhaust.

why did you decide to go with 2.5" downpipe?

all of mine will also be mandrel bent.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, like i said, i don't plan on turning this into an 8 second monster or anything :) and out of all the stuff i read, and on buschur racing website, decided that a 2.5 mandrel is enough for 12's. i also decided against the 3" DP because i don't want to mess with lots of boost creep, (a little i can handle) and i don't ever plan on anything bigger than a 16G. there's a thread somewhere about 3" being overkill or something like that from a while back. i could probably find it again, but i'm lazy and don't feel like searching :)

mandrel is a MUST though ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
its weird though I have 2.5" all the way and hollowed cat and its loud in the car but its not loud outside the car??? i dunno why though? the turbo DOES muffle the sound alot but its a deep rumble sound. like you can hear my civic and talon from a long distance but the talon is mellow loud! both from far away my civic tops the talon in sound.

my setup:
2.5" AHP downpipe/hollowed cat/2.5" catback with apex1 style muffler. I can boost 17-18psi no prob except its not good for stock fuel pump :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
i know i'm knew to this whole turbo thing still with boost...

what is boost creep? i'd love my car to be in the low 12's or mid 11's.

if im in the mid 11 or even low 11's would i want 3" or 2.5"

does 3" offer any benefits over the 2.5" like it running cooler or anything at all? in the 11-12 second range.

what added advantage would a 2.5" downpipe and 3" exhaust from there offer?

sorry i ask a lot of questions but I like to know, and I'm always on a very tight budget

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boost creep can be a bad thing. it is mostly only applicable in 3rd and 4th gear, as you run through 1st and 2nd too quickly. but even though you have your boost controller set at, say... 15psi. it would "creep" up to 18 maybe 19psi in the upper rpm's. i think it is caused by not having enough backpressure to equal the exhaust coming out of the turbo, so it spins faster and faster, but i'm not positive.

here's the thread i was talking about in the dsm advanced disc. http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17541&highlight=exhaust+overkill

according to them, buschur racing has run mid 11's on a 2.5" dp/3" catback setup... somthing like that. i might have seen that on the buschur website somewhere though, too.

paimporttuner: did your 2.5" dp and catback bolt right up to your stock cat? or did you have to modify anything... i'm more concerned about how i'm gonna go from a 2.5" downpipe to a 3" catback, if the flanges are the same, or what i need to do. also trying to decide between a 2.5" and 3" testpipe. good thing about kansas is... NO EMISSIONS! WOOHOO :D

i was going to try and hollow out my cat with the stock exhaust, i would expect to see some gains from that, however the bolts are rusted on so badly that they "look" welded on there. they will have to be cut off, no doubts in my mind :( i figure if i'm gonna go through the trouble, i'm just gonna throw a testpipe on there :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think i will go 2.5" downpipe with a 3" exhaust as well, i can always replace the downpipe and replace it with a 3" later.

but as you are I'm also interested in a 2.5" or 3" test pipe. opinions on this would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, after doing a HELLUVA lot of research the past couple days on the subject, i don't think you would notice a difference between a 2.5" and 3" test pipe. it might be a .5hp difference... hardly worth worrying about. i would just go to a muffler shop, and have them weld a couple flanges onto a pipe the same length as your cat. if they ask, just tell them you have a project race car that runs leaded gas, and can't purchase a hi flow cat. leaded gas will mess up a cat pretty good from what i've gathered. they shouldn't give you much guff, and if they do, just go to anothe muffler shop. they're a dime a dozen, adn the quality isn't really all that important. it will cost you about 20 bucks, and shouldn't take them more than about ten minutes to make :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
just go with 3 inch man.. coz what if u upgrade your DP later down the line ? Since you already will be having a 3 inch cat back, get a freaking 3 inch Test Pipe. My DP is still stock with 2.5 cat-back and I am putting in a 3" test pipe this weekend - who cares if its bigger - wont hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts