DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know, external wastegates are NOT street legal, seeing as they're loud and definitely not emissions friendly. IS this right?
Also, can you run an external wastegate and not get in trouble for it (other than emissions tests)?
For example- a gutted cat; illegal, but you'll RARELY get a ticket for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, im pretty sure the gasses can be routed back into the exhaust rather than to the atmoshpere. That should make it street legal. I'm sure someone else would know.

·
Registered
430 Posts
routed back would be st legal, not routed back in? no

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
but if you just route it back in...wouldn't that just be internal?
Well not quite the same, but wouldn't it cancel the good effects of an external wastegate?

And I believe 0Jiggy0 meant that venting the wastegate to to the atmosphere ISN'T street legal, but routing it back in to the exhaust it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Basically you just get a pipe bent up that goes from where the wastegate would vent into the air and have it dump the air into the exhaust. Not sure if that loses any power or not, but I don't think it does and it makes it legal

·
Registered
114 Posts
some people run there external WG to the atmosphere some plumb it back into the exhaust. If you run the pipe that the exhaust exits to the atomosphere then that will be illegal. You can route it back into the exhaust system(similar to internal wg) so it will not go straight into the atmos. and that would be legal. Unless you live in california and they make you pop your hood so they can look for a CARB number then you should be ok. They made me pop my hood when I got pulled over in CA but I live in AZ so there emissions laws dont apply to me. Hope that makes more sense.

The advantage to an external WG is that the opening will be larger than an internal so you will have less if any boost creep.

·
Registered
430 Posts
lljrll said:

Maybe im just retarded, but I do not understand what you mean.
When you get an external wastegate there is usually a dumptube attached to it. Some people have this dumptueb ran down to the ground to dump the exhaust right to the atmosphere, If you've ever heard a dumptruck or bus sound like its farting thas basically the same thing. some people dont liek that noise so they have the dumptube plumbed into the downpipe for the sleeper/quieter effect.

·
Registered
266 Posts
chilliwacko said:
but if you just route it back in...wouldn't that just be internal?
Well not quite the same, but wouldn't it cancel the good effects of an external wastegate?
You can use an external wastegate and still route it back into the exhuast, but I do not know of any performance increases/decreases to either setups. You can also have an internal wastegate and have a dump tube on the o2 housing which is also illegal, which is what I have on my car at the time. The external wastegate sound venting to the atmosphere is a lot more intimidating to hear than a turbo whistle, although some people do not like it. Can't hear the wastegate sound unless you hit full boost.

·
Registered
266 Posts
0Jiggy0 said:

When you get an external wastegate there is usually a dumptube attached to it. Some people have this dumptueb ran down to the ground to dump the exhaust right to the atmosphere, If you've ever heard a dumptruck or bus sound like its farting thas basically the same thing. some people dont liek that noise so they have the dumptube plumbed into the downpipe for the sleeper/quieter effect.
Sorry just didnt understand your statement at first. Does a true external wastegate with dump tube sound differnt than an internal wastegate with dump tube on o2 housing? I have the internal wastegate with dump tube now and will be putting on my 40mm tial and vp o2 housing w/ dump tube on soon and was wondering if the sound would be different?

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are coming off of the O2 housing instead of the manifold,
it might be a little different, but not enough to notice, you are still pretty much running a 1.5in open header into the air. You might here more turbine noise, but its still gonna be loud.

You'll only hear it at full boost when the gate is open if it is internal and dumped or external and dumped.

I for one like the sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, for people reading this thread, I did some further research and found the major reason for switching to an external waste-gate: boost creep. With a big enough turbo, the internal wastegate just won't keep up as well, and you'll get creep.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 14b and im about to get an o2 dumo 02 housing, will i still get alot of creep with that, i know i should port the turbo out and get the 34mm flapper but I dont have a dremel or die grinder, so im doing the dump housing for now. Will i still get creep or will that help out alot. I hate damn creep i havent floored it in a long time because of it, so hopefully it will help out and thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Chypriss said:
I have a 14b and im about to get an o2 dumo 02 housing, will i still get alot of creep with that, i know i should port the turbo out and get the 34mm flapper but I dont have a dremel or die grinder, so im doing the dump housing for now. Will i still get creep or will that help out alot. I hate damn creep i havent floored it in a long time because of it, so hopefully it will help out and thanks for the responses.
It might not eliminate creep totally, but should help with it. I have the o2 dump with internal gate and I do not get boost creep. I run 20psi though and the higher psi would not creep/spike as much as lower psi. When I ran lower psi , like 16-17, it would spike to 19-20 sometimes. I have never been over 20psi ever though.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Why don't you just get an exhaust w/ 02 eliminator?

I've been checking out RnR systems as a possibility to order the exhaust system w/ O2 eliminator and then just swap a turbo & manifold later on. Seems like a painless and straightforward way to go plus I'll be taking care of a few mods at a time by doing this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
if i get an external wastegate do you have to remove the flapper from the inside of the turbo and the waste gate arm from the exhuast housing. How would that work.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Chypriss said:
if i get an external wastegate do you have to remove the flapper from the inside of the turbo and the waste gate arm from the exhuast housing. How would that work.
peopel usually get teh door welded shut, wastegate arm is no longer used

·
Registered
370 Posts
no I have seen some wastegates that arent on the exhaust manifold but they are custom made to fit over the o2 housing by the exhuast fan, if you weld it shut with this method how will the exhaust gases get out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts