DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 98 GST with the Factory Infinity Premium sound system. The previous owner had the dealership install a Pioneer 12 disc changer. The changer seems to only work through the FM station 89.1 and the factory CD player in the deck does not seem to respond after switching to the CD Changer. Also, even when not using the CD changer, after a few minutes with the car running, the CD controls seems to just be locked out! The CD continues to play, but I none of the control respond anymore. Then, if I shut the car off for about a minute, the CD players works properly again....for a few minutes then the controls stop responding again! Anyone have this type of problem? Do I just need to swap out the POS factory infinity stereo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the exact set up in my 98 GSX. I do not experience the problems you are having, however my Infinity CD player is interface and control the CD changer.

·
Registered
303 Posts
POS?? I disagree.

------------------
=KTP=
99SpyderGST

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vehicle is still under the factory warranty, so the dealership is actually going to replace the unit. After speaking to a local Car Audio shop about the problem, they said the deck was simply overheating and not responding is actually a normal protective feature of all stereos when they overheat....but even when it is not hot?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why can't car stereo guys ever say the words "I don't know"? It's like they have to know more than you, so they must come up with some explaination. If it does it when it's cold too, the obvously it's not the problem. As for the Stock POS, I just bought my 97 and the cd player broke after one week!

------------------
97 Black GS-T

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it helps any, you could consider the possibility of getting the 'right' CD player, which is the one that plugs into the Infinity CD changer control on the back of the head unit.

I don't know the pricing, but I know that my 97 GS-T Spyder had this cd changer added on. With the exception that the bozos ordered a black carpetting for my tan interior, the cd changer is quite stock looking (which it is really). It's a 10-disc changer in the trunk and it works through the head unit via the 'CD' button.

·
Registered
129 Posts
factory POS! i have a 95 and bought it used and the damn thing had water/oil all over the changer plug in the back hatch with the radio would not work this way so i unplugged the changer and the radio starts working again but it will not keep the correct time when you shut off the car each minute= 5 to the clock and turn the car back on and you have a clock that is 5 mins faster than you left it POS
1=5
2=10........
so i have a watch hanging from my mirror ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
no no no the car isn't a pos, bro, the sound system is as for the car i'm very happy with mitsu this is one of three i've had
95 gst
90 gsx
92 tsi fwd
very happy but the sony is a much better upgrade cdxc910 all the way!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If I understand this right...

The Pioneer CD Changer is an FM Modulated unit...which basically means it will play through the an FM Radio band...in your case 89.1Mhz

What happens when you put a CD in the single in-dash CD player? Does it switch over to play the CD? If not then it sounds like either the CD player is inop, or the head unit is defective and not recognizing the CD player.

Bill
92 GSX
http://www.dsetuning.com
Svc Tech-MMSA

·
Registered
258 Posts
hmm, seems like maybe its some "special feature" of the changer...i would sell the changer regardless because you are getting fm quality from cd's rather than cd quality. If you're satisfied w/ the performance of the stereo, by all means keep it...otherwise go aftermarket. I highly recommend getting rid of the changer you have now and buying the one that integrates w. your radio, you can prolly pick one up for about 150 at the classifieds at dsmtrader.com ((or is it dsmtrader.org?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts