DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Fidanza aluminum flywheel for my 2g FWD. I am wondering if anyone else is running this flywheel and i'm looking for their input about the performance gains.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The fly in my car was 22lbs. stock. I replaced it with a Stillen 10lb. fly and have loved every minute of it. It does make the car harder to drive in town, but on the hwy it totally makes up for it. My car pulls like a rocket sled in 5th gear @ 70-80mph. Your times at the dragstrip will suffer and so will your stoplight races. Therefore, try to pick races on a roll.

At the strip: I launch my car at insane rpms for a FWD. I usually drop at 4000-4500rpms. Even then, the car will bog off the line, but then 20-30ft later I'm roasting tires (turbo lag). It will all pay off on down the strip because the car will now put more torque to the ground and therefore pull higher mphs through the traps.

My best pass:

9.341 @ 78.39mph (2.372 60')

As you can see from the above 60' time, I had a hard time with the car off the line, but gathered it up and ran a decent little time with high mph. I've seen a GSX pull 8.6-8.7 with 79mph trap speed all because he can get off the line. What does that mean? I don't play around from a stop, but from a roll I'm gonna give that GSX a hard run.

------------------
'95 Mitsu Eclipse GS-T

16G Killer, 2.75" RS-R exhaust (turbo back), HKS intake, Apexi BOV, 10lb. flywheel, Centerforce DF, Greddy FMIC, 8.5mm wires, NGK 7's, Apexi Super AFC, Greddy Profec, Energy Suspension motor mounts

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was looking into getting a Fidanza for my AWD TSi, Ive been hearing bad things though, I hear that when launching, the revs will die down really bad then it will just jump right up in power, and for normal day driving, you have to launch at 2000 rpms or you get a load of chatter? Please e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's because of the reduced mass of the flywheel. It is much easier to slow down 7lbs of rotating mass than 15lbs. That is why it bogs easier at idle. You just need to learn how to drive it. But the real benefit of it is acceleration. It's much easier to spin that 7lbs of mass to redline than your 15lb stock flywheel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Donnie, how exactly do you have a best pass of
??????????????????????
And you've seen a GSX pull a pass of 8.6??????
What?!?!???
are you talking 1/8 mile?
I'm confused.

·
Registered
232 Posts
first off, im the guy with a ~13lbs flywheel on a fwd 2g with an act2600... on a side note the factory flywheel is around 20lbs... but anyways, i said it chatters alot.. true, and you do need to launch higher.. if it dips below 1500 it is puking and gagging. that does not mean it was not entirely worth every dime i paid :) ... i would not trade my clutch or my flywheel (although i'd like to see what 7lbs feels like).

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 90GSTforME:
Donnie, how exactly do you have a best pass of
??????????????????????
And you've seen a GSX pull a pass of 8.6??????
What?!?!???
are you talking 1/8 mile?
I'm confused.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course 1/8th mile. Anytime you see a time of less than 9.5sec and traps speeds of less than 170mph, you're talking 1/8th mile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts