DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 GS-T, only engine mod is dump tube cut.

Lately my car has been "shuddering" when it is boosting. I'm not exactly a car genious but my best guess is my stock 2g BOV is not holding boost like it should. I have in my possesion a 1g BOV but I have no idea how to install it. I've been looking for hours for a post or a website with instructions on how to install a 1g BOV, but can't find one. Could someone please direct me to an instructional site with this information, or just tell me how to do it (I assume it is simple enough).

Thanks!
Chris Phillips
[email protected]

·
Registered
145 Posts
phillicl said:
Could someone please direct me to an instructional site with this information, or just tell me how to do it (I assume it is simple enough).
You can't just bolt it up to a stock 2g intercooler pipe. Even if your old intercooler pipe had a 2g BOV on it, it won't fit, the flange is different. You need to get a new upper intercooler pipe flanged for a 1g BOV.

Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You need to somehow get a flange for a 1G BOV. The best and cheapest way to do this is by getting a hard upper intercooler pipe that is already flanged for the 1G BOV. If money is your concern I suggest you get the dave brode UIP which is really only a partial pipe but it has the 1G flange on it and gets rid of that flat section in the stock plastic pipe. You will also need to have installed a cone air filter like the K&N FIPK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found Dave Brode's website and I am planning on getting his UIP. I think I'm also going to go ahead and buy the A'Pexi CAI. Question is: with the CAI, do I have to dump into the air or does the CAI have a place for the dump tube? I've heard when you dump into the air it can cause some problems.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
Chris,

You're from Oxford? So am I!! That's pretty cool....I didn't know there were any other DSMers up here. We should hang out sometime... Anyway, I agree; the 2G BOV is crap. Getting a new UICP and BOV will be one of the better mods that you will do. If you need any help, just ask. I'd be more than happy to come over and help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I see you have an ACT clutch installed. I was wondering if you installed it yourself. I have an ACT clutch myself (but i believe it's the 2100) and my buddy and I have been putting off installing it. I was wondering if I need to also buy a new throw out bearing and if I should get a new flywheel or just get the old one resurfaced.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
phillicl said:
I found Dave Brode's website and I am planning on getting his UIP. I think I'm also going to go ahead and buy the A'Pexi CAI. Question is: with the CAI, do I have to dump into the air or does the CAI have a place for the dump tube? I've heard when you dump into the air it can cause some problems.

Thanks!

Chris
You can't really get a true cold air intake for our cars because of the placement of the MAS - only a filter that bolts to the MAS via a special adapter. I definitely like the Apexi Power Intake the best out of the cone style filters, but am currently using the K&N one that came with my Injen pipe. If you're not planning on upgrading your intake pipe now I think the Apexi is a good choice. You won't have to worry about the dump tube connection to the BOV until you replace that intake pipe. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep, installed myself. Was a pain in the ass, but worth it. You wouldn't have as much trouble since you're FWD though. When you do install it, get a new, plastic throwout bearing. The metal TOB that comes with the ACT clutch kits are known to fail. And you shouldn't have to get a new flywheel (unless your old one has cracks in it), just get it stepped to .610. If you need help with, let me know.

phillicl said:
Hey, I see you have an ACT clutch installed. I was wondering if you installed it yourself. I have an ACT clutch myself (but i believe it's the 2100) and my buddy and I have been putting off installing it. I was wondering if I need to also buy a new throw out bearing and if I should get a new flywheel or just get the old one resurfaced.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
850 Posts
Yes, replacing the whole UICP is best, but if you're really on a tight budget, Dejon Tool makes an adapter to use the 1G BOV with the 2G stock pipe. It's $25.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts