DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to a freinds house tonight and a new gti pulls by me and blows off in my hear. I was ok cool so i blew off back and we both slowed down and waited a little no cars in front or behind us. I pull next to him he waves for me to go at like a 20mph roll and i take off and by 40-50 he starts pulling then hes just gone. Pulled about 5 cars on me or more. I pulled over talked to him he had a 2001 1.8T with a t3/t4 set up. Spearco fmic 22psi and a 50 shot which he did use on me. He suggested a bigger turbo i said i knew that already. He dynoed at 315 at the wheels. This car was sick slammed with black wheels it was really nice. I need a bigger turbo so i can beat this guy, he hasnt lost yet on the street he said but hasnt goen to the track. He beat a tt Supra that ran a 12.5 and a high 12 sec Firehawk he said he hopes for low 12's. God i got raped it sucked. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
1.8T's are not to be taken lightly. I recently had an encounter with a fast 1.8T. The run we had was a 50-100 punch and I didn't put much more than a car on him, I was steadily pulling on him, very slowly though. I'm not sure of the mods he had but I would a say a turbo upgrade at the least. I don't think he was spraying either. Now I did see a shiny front mount, colorful assortment of gauges on the A piller and heard a rather loud BOV. Needless to say I was totally impressed, I've always been a fan of the 1.8T's. From what I've seen all it takes is the basic i/e/bigger turbo+i/c+fuel and you have a 12 sec car.

Btw I last ran a [email protected] with a really shitty 2.36 60". With an improvement of my 60" times and the addition of headers which make a HUGE difference on a cammed and bolt on LT1. I shouldn't have a problem pulling of a mid 12 sec pass.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For the most partt most GTI you will run into will be stuck in the 14's unless some $$$$ are dump out for a new turbo setup. I also don't see why you are so dissapointed there is no way you could of even came close to a victory I mean the stock turbo isn't much. I ran another 2g with a few mods and put an easy 6-7 cars on him. And by what you described this dude should walk me easily also, on the juice at least. But only 5 cars behind a possibly low 12 sec car isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
94 1LE said:
1.8T's are not to be taken lightly. I recently had an encounter with a fast 1.8T. The run we had was a 50-100 punch and I didn't put much more than a car on him, I was steadily pulling on him, very slowly though. I'm not sure of the mods he had but I would a say a turbo upgrade at the least. I don't think he was spraying either. Now I did see a shiny front mount, colorful assortment of gauges on the A piller and heard a rather loud BOV. Needless to say I was totally impressed, I've always been a fan of the 1.8T's. From what I've seen all it takes is the basic i/e/bigger turbo+i/c+fuel and you have a 12 sec car.

Btw I last ran a [email protected] with a really shitty 2.36 60". With an improvement of my 60" times and the addition of headers which make a HUGE difference on a cammed and bolt on LT1. I shouldn't have a problem pulling of a mid 12 sec pass.
Yea. 1.8T's can be made quick almost as cheap as dsm's, hence why they are so popular. Chip it, i/h/e and those Turbo upgrades are killer. These things respond incredibly well to mods. Plus they are fairly light. And something I've noticed is that VW's/Audi's LOVE boost.

·
Registered
197 Posts
infury said:

Yea. 1.8T's can be made quick almost as cheap as dsm's, hence why they are so popular. Chip it, i/h/e and those Turbo upgrades are killer. These things respond incredibly well to mods. Plus they are fairly light. And something I've noticed is that VW's/Audi's LOVE boost.
thats no lie..over here there are alll kinda vw's and audis boosting hard. even though they can't mod as heavy as we can in the states they still put up a damn good fight. ran into a vw polo with a vr6 with a t3/t4 in it talk about fast.....i was impressed. but there are a looooootttt of 1.8t cars over here that are quick as hell. don't sleep like said above they take real real good to mods. was gona get one for my wife..im still thinking about ti.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
4g63 kid said:

thats no lie..over here there are alll kinda vw's and audis boosting hard. even though they can't mod as heavy as we can in the states they still put up a damn good fight. ran into a vw polo with a vr6 with a t3/t4 in it talk about fast.....i was impressed. but there are a looooootttt of 1.8t cars over here that are quick as hell. don't sleep like said above they take real real good to mods. was gona get one for my wife..im still thinking about ti.
I went to school in germany for a year. I loved it. England too.
The cars over there are just too much for words. They have such a better market than the u.s. does.
We'd have a full class schedule but it would be crammed into 4 days a week, so we'd basically have 3 day weekends every week and we'd go around cruising. It was so much fun.
mmmm so many m3's/m5's/rs4's
mmmmm....Makes me want to go back to undergrad abroad dept. at berkeley....but on second thought, nevermind :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
fairly light?? my friends gtis both tip the scale at over 3600 lbs....

·
Registered
13 Posts
djpast said:
Put together right? GTI 1.8Ts weigh about 2850lbs.

Chip, turboback exhaust and tip is good for a low 14 sec/high 13 sec pass.

the bigger turbo boys run in the 12s.

In fact, the fastest time on the stock Turbo is Drew from 20vturbo.com he ran a 13.54 on the stock turbo with no juice.

www.18turbo.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
91eclipsegsx16boy said:
thanks DiscoZ, the stock turbo-ed (k03?) 1.8T's are hardly a threat to a properly modded 14b car.

sucks to be a T25ed 2g :p

-aaron
Heh! True that! The K03 sport maxes out at like 240hp with a shit load of torque... but the car is a bitch to launch without a LSD, and even then...

Wannarunthatshit (he is here too) has run a 13.54 without a LSD, but no one else that I know of has managed to run his time on the stock turbo.... The 14B DSMs are beasts!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
569 Posts
DiscoZ said:
Wannarunthatshit (he is here too) has run a 13.54 without a LSD, but no one else that I know of has managed to run his time on the stock turbo....
I'm guessing that just like for the FWD DSMs, those times are not at all repeatable on the street (i.e. street tires, street air pressure in tires, no traction compound on the road, pump gas, and street weight--i.e. little to no weight reduction). Mmmmm....I love these daily reminders of why AWD is so nice.

What kind of traps do these people run with the stock turbo setup?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ya... those times are not really repeatable on the street, on the stock Turbo with no LSD on a FWD. From a roll, it's not that bad (I usually don't go from a stop... too much wheelspin) as the 1.8T doesn't lose that much to the wheels. The fastest traps on the stock Turbos are around 101-103mph or so, I believe (no juice)...not that quick.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
djpast said:
what the hell?
with them sitting in the car? also are they grotesquely obese?
Last I checked they were somewhere around 2600-2700 lb range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
infury said:

what the hell?
with them sitting in the car? also are they grotesquely obese?
Last I checked they were somewhere around 2600-2700 lb range.
Exactly... a fully loaded GTI 1.8T (with the heavy ass '17 rims) weighs 2932 lbs according to VW. Most GTI 1.8Ts that people have weighed are in the 2800-2850 lb range. Like most German manufacturers, VW rates their times (and some say the weight too, will a full tank of gas and a passenger).

·
Registered
569 Posts
DiscoZ said:
The fastest traps on the stock Turbos are around 101-103mph or so, I believe (no juice)...not that quick.
Heh, that's not bad at all. If I see one that looks modded, I'll have to make sure I don't give them the jump. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
How much do datalogers cost for the 1.8T's? I mean a real logger that shows knock not a obdII.

I think I may have my next project *drooling* :-0

1 - 16 of 16 Posts