DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I made it out to the track for the first time last Friday. I didn't do as well as I excepted, but all in all I had a blast.

My first run I didn't really know how the christmas tree worked, so I didn't launch at all and got a really bad R/T. I went up against a spyder gst who was doing his first run also.

R/T 1.639
60' 2.269
330 6.590
1/8 10.245
MPH 67.31
1000 13.400
1/4 16.053
MPH 83.96

The spyder ran a [email protected], he accidentally went through the water is what he said? He got me by .1345

Second run, I had a friend with me in the car and got really nervous b/c an 80's mustang 5.0 pulled up next to me. I bogged on the launch down to about 2800rpm and then went.

R/T 1.002
60' 2.480
330 7.014
1/8 10.820
MPH 64.32
1000 14.090
1/4 16.789
MPH 83.89

I beat the 5.0? Not sure how, he ran a 18 flat. He said he had the 5.0 anyway. No mods. This run makes me realize how important the launch really can be. The MPH is about the same, which I guess should be expected? My friend said I need to work on shifting, besides the obvious getting used to the :tree: and launching. Any one else have suggestions based on the times? I set a goal for myself of a 15.5 before I should start buying mods to increase my times. Figured I should get used to the car (and she needs to get used to me too) before I change anything.

My Mods: hks hyper, intake, and some aftermarket clutch I have no idea what it is. The syder guy sat in my car and told me it felt like act 2600, but he couldn't be sure. I had a gst with stock clutch and the gsx is a LOT heavier, anyway to tell really?

:angel:

·
Registered
216 Posts
What are you shifting at? My first time at the track i shifted at redline on the t-25. The thing totally dies at like 5700 rpms. The second time i went i improved my times drastically by shifting at 6k! May want to try it next time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to watch the boost gauge to notice when it dropped off to shift, but usually I was shifting right around 6.5k on the first run. Second run I was really nervous and was shifting at redline or slightly past.

·
Registered
906 Posts
You got some problems if you're trapping at 83 MPH. You should be mid to high 90s. I'd say you have a boost leak, crazy timing pull, or are the slowest shifter in the world.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Second run I missed 3rd gear and the first run I stopped before I got to the end :slam: I will check for boost leaks and the like. I know I'm running a little rich, could this be the culprit? I'll do a search and read the manual on o2 sensors.

I do need to learn to shift faster.

·
Registered
749 Posts
hmm thats pretty bad, im thinking boost leak also, i mean the t-2small isnt all that bad its way better than 16's ;) search on launching and read the threads there, thats how i learned :p

peace

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
work on your launching. 2.2 isn't too bad for the first time, but with awd, you want to drop that a lot since that is where you make most of your run.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with the boost leak theory... I was running 14.58 at approx 93mph in the 1/4 and I knew I had boost leak.... double check for leak, check the BOV/compressor valve you are using, and try some of the tips on launching and shiftpoints that are sticky for this section. 16s is ridiculously slow, even for a non modded GSX

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seem to launch great on the street. Opens my sunroof cover thingie. I sitll have the stock bov (shame on me I know, saving up for one now) and am running what appears to be .92kpa boost (about 12-13psi) with spikes up to 1.00 (14.7). I read the vfaq on the leak tester, and going to make one of those on friday. See how bad it is and grab some jb weld I guess? What is jb weld and where can I get it? Besides good ol' duct tape, what else is an idea for fixing leaks? I know the car was more modded than when I got it, so the guy before just put shit back together lazily I bet.

man .. dsm'ers are great :) thanks..

·
Registered
166 Posts
In regards to the 60' times...a near stock GSX with a decent clutch is capable of 1.8 or 1.9 60' times. The first time I pulled a 1.8 it felt like the steering wheel was gonna fly forward out of my hands (scared the crap outta me!) so try to induce this sensation!!!

Also, boost leaks are usually caused be loose hose clamps on one or more of the intercooler pipes/couplers. If someone before you took it all apart and put the stock stuff back on I would say it is extremely likely you have a leak...the result of which would make the car run a little rich.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
ChicagoGSX said:
You got some problems if you're trapping at 83 MPH. You should be mid to high 90s. I'd say you have a boost leak, crazy timing pull, or are the slowest shifter in the world.
Not true. To be in high 90s with T25, one would have to run low 14's or high 13's. 15's - flat car runs close to 90 mph, but (in most cases) one won't break into 90's without running high 14's. This applies only to AWD cars, of course... :D The 84 mph traps are fully adequate to the 16's ETs and there's absolutely no evidence of any boost leak.
The 60', 330' and 1/8 times indicate a lack of driving skills, but continuous practice and increasing experience will result in 1.8's 60' sooner or later. Try to launch at around 5.5K and shift around 6.5K. Launch hard and bang the gears in as fast as you can. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
^
|

What he said. Missing 3rd on one run and letting off the gas before the end on the other run seems like the culprit for 83 mph traps to me. It never hurts to check for boost leaks, but right now, better driving is the best mod you can do for yourself.

I like your attitude of working on the driving first and shooting for that 15.5 at the least before you start modding further. A lot of people could learn from your way of approaching things. :)

Good luck on your next trip to the track!

·
Registered
906 Posts
You guys are right but I think he should be at least in the low 90s. Although at the time I posted he hadn't said that he missed 3rd or let off at the end.

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Prime, dont worry about your times yet!
my first run at the track I pulled a [email protected]
second attempt netted me a [email protected]
my mods were intake, upper intercooler pipe, act2600

Oh and my driving is all messed up, sometimes I bang through gears like its outta style, other times I cant shift normally without grinding something!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I plan on heading out this Wednesday after work to get a few runs in. I realized as I was reading forum after forum after webpage and I started to lose vision of why I'm doing this: to have fun. So I quit reading, I already know what I really need to know, have fun. I'll post here with updated times if I make it out :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is 15.700 bad for a completely stock GS-T?? I do know I have to get better tires...their Treadwear is 360, and they are a better choice if you are planning to run soap tires instead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
15.7 for a stock gst is at least lower than what the manufacturer says it can do. I have a spyder (first posting: check out my times, spyders with stock turbos can impress if driven correctly), and ran around that the first time I went to the track. Im now about about 40 runs in and I have to say that experience and a top notch working clutch are what does it. Not to mention that the car should be tuned well and make sure no boost leaks are present. Stock t-25 works best at around 15-15 psi, more than that and you are just blowing hot air and increasing your chances of detonation)engine goos boom).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
bassrushflo said:
15.7 for a stock gst is at least lower than what the manufacturer says it can do. I have a spyder (first posting: check out my times, spyders with stock turbos can impress if driven correctly), and ran around that the first time I went to the track. Im now about about 40 runs in and I have to say that experience and a top notch working clutch are what does it. Not to mention that the car should be tuned well and make sure no boost leaks are present. Stock t-25 works best at around 15-15 psi, more than that and you are just blowing hot air and increasing your chances of detonation)engine goos boom).
yo pablo. Your times are awesome. This is willfromfreeport on the club board. What do you launch at? What do you shift at? Was your best time at LID? What kind of tires do you have? Any suspension work?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts