DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving around today (quite a bit actually) and after awhile I stopped and popped the hood to see if it was smoking like it does sometimes and I noticed an odd fishy sort of smell coming from the engine bay. Any idea what this could be? I've heard ECU, coolant, brakes, and wiring harness. Is there anyway to know what it is with 100% certainty?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
827 Posts
The caps in the ecu will smell like this if they are leaking. Pull it out and take a look at them; it's really pretty easy to get at and that's the best way to know for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i don't know about you all, but i think coolant smells like a$$....that's a possibility---are there any leaks under your car??

·
Registered
264 Posts
phastdsmr said:
i don't know about you all, but i think coolant smells like a$$....
You dont like the smell of Coolant!!
WHAT!!
Well i like it. I also like how it tastes.. sorta sweet actually

more than likely the ECU though
i would doubt the coolant
Brakes smell like fish????

·
Registered
511 Posts
I noticed the same fishy smell a few days before my alternator died a few years ago. Just to make sure it's ok, hook up a volt meter on the battery and see what your voltage is, I believe 13.5-14.4 is correct. Also, if you live near a shop like Pepboys or Autozone, they can hook up your car to a charging system diagnostics device for free. It will test your alternator for output in amps and volts under load.
Like mentioned above, the ECU caps are possible as well, but you would only smell it inside the car. If you smelled the smell under the hood, then that's where the problem will be. The clutch can make a similar smell but, that would only happen after a really hard launch and it would be gone after a few minutes of driving.

·
Elite DSMtalker
334 Posts
markGSX said:

ehh, its poison
actually, if anyone ever goes for a colon procedure the active ingredient of what you'll drink is the same as coolant. poly-ethelyne gylcol = Golytely = Antifreeze. Its all about consentrations but still weird.

i dont think fish smells like coolant by the way. electrical problems usuaully smell like garlic bread from my experience.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I stopped and popped the hood to see if it was smoking like it does sometimes and I noticed an odd fishy sort of smell coming from the engine bay.

Is my ex girlfriend living in your engine bay?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Propylene glycol is much less toxic than ethylene glycol but it still will make you sick if consumed in the amounts that drinking would entail. One good thing about propylene glycol is its lack of a sweet taste. Ethylene glycol tastes sweet, inviting children and animals to drink it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after doing some digging around in the engine bay, I noticed that the coolant reservoir cap was loose, and the smell *seemed* to be strongest in this area. I readjusted the cap and the smell seems to have gone away. This brings up another question, however: is the coolant reservoir supposed to be full? Cuz mine's at like half an inch of coolant. I tried filling it up the other night but when I got out to the car the next morning there was a huge puddle underneath the front of the car and the reservoir was back down to like half an inch. I suppose I can just add one more thing to the list of things to do now...
On a side note: I stopped by Satan this afternoon for a scheduled appointment to replace my upper intercooler pipe and oil return line, and the fuckers didn't even have the damn parts in stock (despite the fact that I scheduled the appointment more than a week in advance). Now I have to sit by my phone tomorrow and wait for Satan to call. Guess I get to miss even more work this week...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
As the engine cools the coolant decreases in volume. This causes a vacuum inside the engine and coolant is drawn out of the bottle keeping the radiator full. So what you want is sufficient coolant in the bottle to always keep the end of the hose submerged.

This doesn't apply to your problem - but what can happen over time is either the hose between the thermostat housing or the hose in the bottle stretches at the end where it slips on and is no longer a tight fit. Then instead of drawing in coolant, the engine draws in air. The radiator can be going empty while the bottle stays full.

Anyway, it sounds like you may have a bottle with a hole in it.

·
Elite DSMtalker
334 Posts
99eclipseRS said:
On a side note: I stopped by Satan this afternoon for a scheduled appointment to replace my upper intercooler pipe and oil return line
are you not an RS anymore? If so then you should look into an aftermarket pipe instead of the crappy stock one. I dont know how much they charge; they probably don't stock it because nobody wants to buy them --anywhere--! If you really want the stocker then I'll sell you mine for less than Mitsu wants for theirs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
On a side note: I stopped by Satan this afternoon for a scheduled appointment to replace my upper intercooler pipe and oil return line
Why on earth would you replace your Upper IC pipe with a stock part? ESPECIALLY from STATN! It's one of the most restrictive parts of the entire intake tract.

Rick - '91 GSX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts