DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a flowmaster on a turbo DSM? Ever since I lost y Borla(that thing sounded nice),I have been driving with no muffler, I'm sicki of it, but i'm broke too. I need something cheap to get me by. Any opinions on these mufflers or suggestions on other readily available bargain performance mufflers would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I'm pretty sure all Flowmaster mufflers are chambered.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thats the last muffler I would buy for a Turbo DSM. Flowmasters are for guidos in 5.0 mustangs. Get an Apexi N1 muffler, they are $219 from turbotrix and they look and sound badass.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey Otis,

I have a 3A Racing Bomb.... its stainless steel 6" round and 4.5" tip 2.5" inlet (its a apexi n1/hks hiper "look alike") i got it for $106(with tax & took 3 days to ship there) at Pep Boys! it sounds really nice and deep toned and looks good! I live about 10 minutes away from you maybe we can hook up and you can see how it sounds and looks... with my gutted cat.

91 Red Talon Tsi FWD! ...D.A.R.E. plate

-Nelson

·
Registered
405 Posts
One time this indian (not that there's anything wrong with being indian... it just so happens he was) said to me "nice car, you got the flowmasters on that?" I felt like telling him he's an idiot and that import cars don't use that gay old school garbage. But I just said "yeah."

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I didn't know there was such a hatred towards a type of muffler. :confused:

I think Flowmasters sound great on domestic V8 cars. It's just that you want a straight-through muffler on a turbocharged car, and as I stated earlier, I think all Flowmaster mufflers are chambered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Scott, I didn't realize you all hated these mufflers so much. They are actually pretty high tech as far as mufflers go, not so for most of our "straight through" mufflers. They are no more high tech than a glass pack. I personally have a Thermal 3" cat back & I love the way it sounds. I've also had a custom exaust with a Flowmaster on a turbo Shelby I used to own & it sounded great (deep & throaty). I think there is nothing quite as nice sounding as a domestic V8 with 2 chamber Flowmasters & turndowns right before the rear axle IMHO.

Josh

·
Registered
60 Posts
lazer4ever said:
I agree with Scott, I didn't realize you all hated these mufflers so much. They are actually pretty high tech as far as mufflers go, not so for most of our "straight through" mufflers. They are no more high tech than a glass pack. I personally have a Thermal 3" cat back & I love the way it sounds. I've also had a custom exaust with a Flowmaster on a turbo Shelby I used to own & it sounded great (deep & throaty). I think there is nothing quite as nice sounding as a domestic V8 with 2 chamber Flowmasters & turndowns right before the rear axle IMHO.

Josh
I bet if I let you listen to my Z28 without flowmasters you would change you mind a little:D:D, 4" Dynomax Muffler, much better than Flowmasters;) :p on a V8!!

Oh wait this discussion is about a Turbo 4 Cylinder!!!:D:D

Yeah forget about the Flowmasters and go with one of the other suggested mufflers, Flowmasters are for V8s not DSMs!!!

:) :) :beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Formz TSi said:
Grovlet who the hell are you? I grew up in Glastonbury. Is that you Brown?
No FormTsi. My Name is Eric. I was the one who you suggested not buy Dan's Car. I was actually thinkin about it but then found a 92 that I liked better.

The 92 needed a motor rebuild which actually fit what I wanted a little better:D.

Are you still in Glastonbury??

Eric

·
Registered
60 Posts
The car is actually out in Collinsville/Canton at my buddies shop. I love havin a friend with an auto shop, Nothin like air tools and lifts when workin on a car:D:D.

So far I am in good shape. The car didn't run as it needed a timing belt. Confirmed bent valves at least, but that's to be expected, starting next week we begin pulling the motor out and start to really see.

Car has 150,000 So it is need of a rebuild anyways.

Already Ordered:
New Valves/Springs and Retainers
New Crower Street/Race Cams and Cam Gears
New 16G
TurboXS MBC and BOV
Autometer Boost, EGT and Modified A/F Gauges
Bushur 2.5" Exhaust

Now I just have decide what I want for Pistons and Rods. I am actually thinking of going with 2G pistons and using my 1G Rods as I am realistically shooting for around 250 to the wheels with moderate boost.

I'll keep you posted as how it comes out.

Now Back To The Flowmaster Debate, Where were we???:D:p

Eric

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah well call it overkill just to make sure!!:D:D:D:p

I figured that 250 would be a realistic number to shoot for without spending a ton of money and moving to far from the daily driver status IE No RaceGas and not too much boost:rolleyes:.

The one thing I didn't metion is this is my Winter/Bad Weather car:D:D, I just found it to hard to go from the Z28 to something that can't get out of it's own way when the weather is bad.

I am sure that 250 is easily obtainable with the car, and your'e probably right I will probably end up with more, Oh well:p

Maybe I'll like the GSX better than the Z and start driving the Z in the winter:rolleyes:

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts