DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just changed the plugs, fuel filter and all the fluids at the dealership for a 30,000 mile checkup on a 98 GST. I had this problem before I brought it in and the dealership claimed that the car did no such thing after the checkup. Well, it does run smoother now with the new plugs, but when maintaining a speed of around 45-50 mph, the rpm gauge will bounce a little just intermittently. I know its not a problem with the tachometer because I can actually feel a drag or hesitation in the car when it bounces. Also, I noticed that when I let off the gas, the rpms drops more than normal and I can feel the car kinda drag for a second, then after about a second, the rpm raise back up to normal. I have a AT transmission, but I know it shouldn't drop and have that drag type feeling when I let off the gas. Also, it is intermittent.

Please help!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Has the car ever stalled on you when you let go of the gas? Also does it do this when it's in cold idle? I had a similar problem on my car and it was the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). If this is the problem with your car too get it changed quick because mine also burnt out my Idle Speed Controller.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it has not stalled when I let go of the gas...yet. Sometimes it feels like it. I remember reading somewhere about something like the wastegate releasing spooled pressure in the turbo? Would this have anything to do with my problem?

4G63Rydah,

Do you have an Automatic? It actually doesn't seem to do it in idle at all, it really only seems like it does it when I release the gas pedal and/or when I'm maintaining a constant speed.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have a 5Spd. With mine it idled very rough and when I let go of the gas it would stall.... I dunno..maybe we have different probs. :confused:

------------------
'92 Eclipse GS 2.0L NT

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting your suggestion...any insight is better than none at this point! The car is going back to the dealership this week as it is still under the factory warranty. I will add the Throttle Position Sensor to the "to be checked" list. Are there any other possibilites that would cause this type of problem? A friend of mine with a 300zx had a similar problem that was fixed when his mechanic changed his Head Temp Sensor. Do our DSMs have a Head Temp Sensor?

[This message has been edited by Aks (edited September 17, 2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts