DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just recently installed my new FMIC on my 92 Eagle Talon TSI.
And i noticed that the stock "J pipe" had a line going to it. And then noticed my new "J pipe" did not support this line.

Could you tell me what you did with that line?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Most of us Either have of two choices.
A: Go to a shop and get one fabbed
B: Buy one online. I got mine from Hirevperformance.com

·
Registered
830 Posts
k_oss_22 said:
Hi. I just recently installed my new FMIC on my 92 Eagle Talon TSI.
And i noticed that the stock "J pipe" had a line going to it. And then noticed my new "J pipe" did not support this line.

Could you tell me what you did with that line?
That is the boost reference hose for the wastegate actuator. You have to have that hooked up or your turbo will just keep building infinite boost.

I just drilled/tapped my J pipe and threaded a brass fitting in there. Then, you apply a healthy amount of JBWeld and give it a good amount of time to set up. Do a boost leak test and spray it down with soapy water to make sure it isnt leaking... then test it again after you go for a drive and it has had a chance to heat up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
green_bread said:
That is the boost reference hose for the wastegate actuator. You have to have that hooked up or your turbo will just keep building infinite boost.

I just drilled/tapped my J pipe and threaded a brass fitting in there. Then, you apply a healthy amount of JBWeld and give it a good amount of time to set up. Do a boost leak test and spray it down with soapy water to make sure it isnt leaking... then test it again after you go for a drive and it has had a chance to heat up.
This is not true.
note mine is plugged. hard to see with the hood prop rod in the way but there is a bolt in the end of that tube.

My wastegate pressure source is pulled elsewhere like it should be. Thats why on a actual j pipe there isnt a pressure nipple on them.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Funny being that the engineer's that designed the car thought differently, and from the factory the wastegate control comes from the j-pipe where it SHOULD come from, you noobs should REALLY stop posting incorrect information, it only misleads others, let me guess you think that the bov line is the correct place to run the source from right?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
goalieman24 said:

If you hook a manual boost controller in line with the bov than the bov will not hold shut under boost because ball and spring controllers have a bleeder hole so that the wastegate can close, and the bleeder style are CONSTANTLY leaking air out. I don't car WHO says to do it this way, it is incorrect, you need to have the source as close to the turbo as you can.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1gawd4g63 said:
Funny being that the engineer's that designed the car thought differently, and from the factory the wastegate control comes from the j-pipe where it SHOULD come from, you noobs should REALLY stop posting incorrect information, it only misleads others, let me guess you think that the bov line is the correct place to run the source from right?
actually smartass the engineers also thought an intercooler the size of a dvd case was great to didnt they. My wastegate line goes to my EBC silinoid, and it pulls its source from the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Chill the hell out man, you are trying to say that the j-pipe is the incorrect place first off, than you are saying that the oem intercooler is too small, for a completely stock, stock boost level the oem intercooler is PERFECT, you need to take a chill pill because negative comments are HIGHLY frowned upon around here.

·
Registered
183 Posts
1gawd4g63 said:
Chill the hell out man, you are trying to say that the j-pipe is the incorrect place first off, than you are saying that the oem intercooler is too small, for a completely stock, stock boost level the oem intercooler is PERFECT, you need to take a chill pill because negative comments are HIGHLY frowned upon around here.
perhaps you shouldnt go around calling people noobs when you really have no idea. The way my cars vacuum system is ran works and works very well. But somehow its wrong? Most people run WG source from the intake manifold. My car hold 15PSI like a rock and does not build infinate boost like you stated. which i said was false.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Actually i am not the one that said that, that was greedbread, and he was stating that if you completely unhook the wastegate that it will build an infinite amount of boost, just read and you will understand. And i assure you that the intake manifold it the LAST place that you want to run your boost source from for the boost controller. actually you might be the one to watch who they are talking to buddy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
TravisB... you are incorrect. First off, who plugs off a vacuum and boost line source with a screw? Second, FROM THE FACTORY the nipple on the j pipe is connected to a tee which leads to the wastegate and Factory boost solenoid. The facorty solenoid is a bleeder, which lets off boost which is then rerouted back into the intake ( AIR intake). So the nipple on the J pipe is the FACTORY location and one of the best ( why run a long routed vacuum hose to the intake manifold)?

For the OP, tap and screw in a brass nipple; or have a shop weld on a nipple. Short route with was hassle and the correct location. FIY-Sometimes the part says it all...WASTE GATE.

·
Registered
830 Posts
teamongen said:
TravisB... you are incorrect. First off, who plugs off a vacuum and boost line source with a screw? Second, FROM THE FACTORY the nipple on the j pipe is connected to a tee which leads to the wastegate and Factory boost solenoid. The facorty solenoid is a bleeder, which lets off boost which is then rerouted back into the intake ( AIR intake). So the nipple on the J pipe is the FACTORY location and one of the best ( why run a long routed vacuum hose to the intake manifold)?

For the OP, tap and screw in a brass nipple; or have a shop weld on a nipple. Short route with was hassle and the correct location. FIY-Sometimes the part says it all...WASTE GATE.
Thank you... at least a couple people are smart enough to grasp what I was getting at. You CAN run your boost source for the wastegate actuator from a different source such as the intake manifold(but why??) or the BOV line(completely wrong.. should never be done.. fucks with correct operation of the BOV.. been PROVEN to be wrong for a looong time, etc..), but why would you do something stupid like that when you have the BEST source right off the Jpipe nipple? That spot is going to give you the most accurate reading because it is the first part of the piping right out of the turbo and doesnt have to go through the intercooler or a shit load of piping that is, more than likely, leaking somewhere. You also want the shortest possible route for your WGA line to help prevent boost SPIKE.

You go ahead and do it your way TravisB... we are trying to tell him the best/correct way to hook it up. Its ok to say "I do it this way".. but to say that something is wrong when hooking it up as close to or the same as the way it was from the factory is just a retarded statement. We are all here to try and help each other out... not post a bunch of negative comments and try to work against the laws of physics. If you feel you need to be negative with people, you should keep it to PMs so you dont clutter up the OPs thread with all your naysayer BS.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well anyways, just to simplify; mines goes off the jpipe nipple to the mbc to the w.g. actuator. The closer coming off from the turbo, probably the better.. I wouldnt tap into the BOV.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I understand not tapping into the BOV source, thats a terrible idea. But why is it so horrible to use the intake pressure to guage your wastegate? I would think this is a good idea, as your tuning your motor for what its actually seeing/getting.

Someone said that doing this leaves room for boost leakes, but if you take your reading off the manifold, the turbo can, and does make up for little leaks and such. The wastegate won't open until you get to the pre-set boost level, therefore your tuning will be more accurate, correct? If you've got big leaks, then you have bigger problems that need to be addressed, anyway, and boost isn't your concern at this point.

Taking boost pressure readings off the "j" pipe, or even the compresser housing as I've seen many turbo's that way, *is* the most accurate way of measuring what your turbo is pusing, not what boost your engine is seeing. There is the possibility of leaks along the way, which would lower the pressure you *think* you've got, right?

·
Registered
938 Posts
^It provides the wastegate with the boost as early as possible, keeping boost spike better at bay than sources further away from the outlet of the turbo.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Getting your boost reference from a place after there have been boost leaks thrown in to the mix will also cause your turbo to spool up more than it should be to maintain the boost level you have your WG/MBC set to. Its like this:

You want your turbo to be set to run at 15psi. Lets say you have boost leaks in the system... and by the time the air gets to the intake manifold, you have a 5psi loss because of it. This is problem #1.. even though you are referencing the amount of pressure seen as it goes in to the engine, the mass airflow sensor is before the turbo.. therefore, as the turbo spins higher and builds more boost to compensate for the air lost to the boost leaks, your AFRs are going to be thrown off because the MAF sees more air than is actually going in to the engine. Then there is problem #2.. the fact that the turbo is having to spool more to comensate for the boost leaks. Since the reference is coming from the intake manifold, it is so far away from the source and has the leaks affecting the "reading", the turbo is going to have to work a lot harder to create the 15psi in the intake manifold and open the MBC/WG. Who knows how much boost the turbo is actually having to make to create the 15psi you desire inside the intake manifold.. all because of some boost leaks.

I could go on, but those are just a couple good examples of why you should have your boost reference as close to the turbo as possible. When it comes to the MBC/WG, I am much more concerned with how much ACTUAL boost is being created by the turbo than how much of it is getting in to the engine... that is what I worry about when tuning AFRs and fuel trims ;).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow thanks you for ALL the comments :D you are all smart people. And after reading all this, I came to the conclusion that I will tap into my J pipe ty!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts