DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I completely understand and agree with what you are saying. I may be "pretty good" with cars, but we all have things to learn, which is kinda why I was asking the things I was asking. I like to have as much info as possible, in as many ways as possible.

Back when I first bought my car, I had some significant boost leaks. I knew next to nothing about turbo's or the 4G63 motor, so I was pretty much blind. I bought the car from a friend of a friend, who told me the car needed a SAFC because it had a 16g and 550cc injectors, and that was it. The car ran like crap when boosting (did I mention I knew little about the car?), but I didn't do anything about it at that time. I thought it was just because it was "out of tune". About 300 miles into owning the car, the turbo nuked itself. Found out there was a 10" split in my end-tank weld on my FMIC that two shops failed to notice.
Thats my "turbo working to hard" story.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
k_oss_22 said:
Wow thanks you for ALL the comments :D you are all smart people. And after reading all this, I came to the conclusion that I will tap into my J pipe ty!!
Good choice, all you need is a 1/8" npt vacuum fitting from your local hardware store.;) I didn't even have to use jb weld, I just wrapped the threads with teflon but whatever floats your boat..

·
Registered
830 Posts
turbolover said:
I didn't even have to use jb weld, I just wrapped the threads with teflon but whatever floats your boat..
I actually dont think I HAD to use the JBWeld, either.. I just did to be safe and ensure that there werent going to be any leaks there. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
So where do you hook your boost gauge line too? If you hook it to your manifold then if you have boost leaks you are still going to spin the turbo harder than it needs to spin. Hooking it to the manifold allows the turbo to spool quicker as well. I agree with not hooking it into the bov line but I do it anyways. It still goes psshhh when I let off the gas. I consider it good enough. Hook it to your manifold creep is creep it doesnt matter if its hooked to the j pipe or manifold if its going to creep its going to do it. Just port the o2 housing and flapper hole. The stock sidemount still heat soaks one a bone stock car after a few pulls so yes it is a piece.

·
Registered
830 Posts
car_freak66 said:
So where do you hook your boost gauge line too?
Most people tap in to the FPR line or use the "P" nipple on the throttle body.

car_freak66 said:
If you hook it to your manifold then if you have boost leaks you are still going to spin the turbo harder than it needs to spin.
Not necessarily. The point of reference for the wastegate actuator is what is important here, not your boost gauge. If the boost reference point is at the jpipe(assuming that the gasket isnt leaking) and you just have a vacuum hose run to the WGA, once the turbo builds 8psi, the wastegate will open. Since there are no leaks before the point of reference, the WGA will always see that 8psi and your turbo will run that 8psi(unless you have boost spike/creep.. but this is just for example) but that doesnt mean that the 8psi is getting to the motor. If you have boost leaks, the turbo could be putting out the 8psi you desire but you may only be making 5psi at the intake manifold due to your boost leaks... at least your turbo isnt WAAAY over spooling.. and why? Because you tapped the boost reference for the wastegate at the correct location... I hope this is starting to make sense for you all by now....:dunno:

car_freak66 said:
Hooking it to the manifold allows the turbo to spool quicker as well. I agree with not hooking it into the bov line but I do it anyways. It still goes psshhh when I let off the gas. I consider it good enough.
This has already been addressed in this thread:
1gawd4g63 said:
If you hook a manual boost controller in line with the bov than the bov will not hold shut under boost because ball and spring controllers have a bleeder hole so that the wastegate can close, and the bleeder style are CONSTANTLY leaking air out. I don't car WHO says to do it this way, it is incorrect, you need to have the source as close to the turbo as you can.
car_freak66 said:
Hook it to your manifold creep is creep it doesnt matter if its hooked to the j pipe or manifold if its going to creep its going to do it. Just port the o2 housing and flapper hole.
This is just bad advice... yes, boost creep is mostly related to the restrictive exhaust housing and the wastegate hole inside of it and yes, porting will help to cure it... however, there are other measures that can and SHOULD be taken to help prevent boost spike and boost creep... which is what we are really getting at in this thread: The most effective way to hook up/run your setup.

I have never understood why anyone would want to spend the time and money they spend on their car and then not have it run as well as it could just because they half-assed some install.:dunno: If you are gonna take the time to do something... take the time to do it right. It only saves you time and frustration in the long run.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
green_bread said:
I have never understood why anyone would want to spend the time and money they spend on their car and then not have it run as well as it could just because they half-assed some install.:dunno: If you are gonna take the time to do something... take the time to do it right. It only saves you time and frustration in the long run.

This is the best post I've seen here in a while.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hey my friend just gave me a new jpipe. Its same shape/ direction as stocker, but a tad bigger. It doesnt have the jpipe nipple like OP speaks of.

We are just going to drill and tap/ weld a nipple on there so I can keep my mbc line connected there. On a friends car he tapped a nipple somewhere on one of the intercooler pipes and that worked to, but Id just rather keep it in the same position as it was before.

I also am against tapping into the bov lines.

Ill post pics on how it goes.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well idk if OP is interested, but anyways heres the pics i said id put of my jpipe, and were we tapped in a nipple.
Havent welded it to the pipe just drilled small hole and threaded it in w/ red loctite, but its not even leaking air.

Compared to stocker.

On car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually i am not the one that said that, that was greedbread, and he was stating that if you completely unhook the wastegate that it will build an infinite amount of boost, just read and you will understand. And i assure you that the intake manifold it the LAST place that you want to run your boost source from for the boost controller. actually you might be the one to watch who they are talking to buddy.
So can I use the j pipe nipple as boost source or preasure source if I'm installing a mbc? I'm new in dealing with turbos.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts