DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running an Apexi FMIC for months during the hot summer and had no overheating problems what so ever. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey guys, I am about to invest in an intercooler upgrade, and I'd like to know if any of you guys runninga FMIC have become prone to overheating. And for you guys that did the side mount intercooler...did it make a noticeable difference? I'm also planning on upgrading to a Fluidyne radiator no matter what.

Jesse
99 GSX

·
Registered
129 Posts
Go with a FMIC. A sidemount is just a waste of time and money.

There's lots of people from DSM Hawaii that are running FMIC with no overheating problems.

------------------
'92 Talon TSi FWD
K&N cut air can, DDP mbc @ 15 psi
[email protected] 2.5 60ft

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't beleive a good sidemount is a waste. 400+ hp can be supported by a good sidemount with far less installation difficulties and in most cases, less money too.

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
I too do not think an upgraded side mount is a waste of money.

Just because many use FMIC's with no overheating... there are many that DO have overheating problems... like me! :)

When it is hot out (90 degrees+) I cannot use the A/C. When it goes above that, near 100, I have to keep the rpms REAL low and baby the car not to overheat, and that is without the a/c on (sweating like a pig too).

The problem is the lack of airflow through the radiator and into the engine bay (obviously). My Apex FMIC (not the current "generation"... I got it a couple years ago) does a damn good job of sealing off the front opening in the bumper/air dam so no air can get around it.

I could probably use some fesh air scoops on my hood... and even some holes added to the bumper cover for better airflow on those hot days... but I just haven't gotten to that yet.

I still like the FMIC, but there are days when it is a major hassle, and considering it is my daily driver that gets ALOT of miles, no matter what the weather, those days are just a bit too frequent.

------------------
** Ted-95 GSX **

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
FYI, I'm running 12s with a FWD on a stock 1G sidemount & upper IC pipe. It is definitely getting heat soaked however, at 23-25 psi with the 20G my knock creeps up at the end of the run. I average about 20 knock sum in 3rd gear at the top of the quarter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
AWW man! So in this 100F TX heat, when I get a GReddy FMIC (I want GReddy, I think it looks the best), I will start overheating! Man! :-/ Weird, I know someone in Houston, TX that told me that he has never had a problem with his Spearco FMIC.

ed

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
557 Posts
I live in the deep south where we regularly eclipse 100 degree F in the summer. What I was thinking about doing was just having Alamo Motorsports build me a side mount IC and upgrading my radiator to a Fluidyne. Then my problems would be over. On the 99 Eclipses there is a fresh air duct for the factory location intercooler. I'm not sure if 98 and earlier model cars have this feature or not, but it really helps to control heat soak.

Jesse
99 GSX

PS- the FMIC's look too cool though!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've heard that spearco will make intercoolers to any size and entanks desired for around $500.
Also you could check out the hahn racecraft sidemount, which i heard is nice but around $700.
I also know that boostedperformance sells a sidemount, but i know very little info on it other than that it has some kind of black electroplating that is supposed to increase thermal transfer between air and metal making it more efficient. It also includes a ceramic coated lower pipe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WhoaTed:
Just because many use FMIC's with no overheating... there are many that DO have overheating problems... like me! :)

When it is hot out (90 degrees+) I cannot use the A/C. When it goes above that, near 100, I have to keep the rpms REAL low and baby the car not to overheat, and that is without the a/c on (sweating like a pig too).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have upgraded radiator fans? All of us Hawaii guys with FMIC's have upgraded radiator fans (twin 12" slim lines for me), and half of us (like me) don't have an AC condensor blocking air flow to the radiator.

Later,

Keith

------------------
Best pass to date 12.817 @ 108.42 with a 1.786 60'. Not bad for a 4 door huh?

Dyno sheets at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/1635/Galant_info.html

PS: Yeah, I know that time is slow for that dyno sheet. This track sucks!

·
Registered
729 Posts
keith, what kind of fan do you use and how much $$$?

·
Registered
84 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gsxalex:
keith, what kind of fan do you use and how much $$$?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a set of twin 12" fans that mount in front of my radiator (not too hard to do without the AC condensor in the way) from Jegs. Not sure what brand. Just the fans would have been $200 for the fans with the thermal switch I think it was about $235.

Later,

Keith

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Do you have upgraded radiator fans? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No. Stock radiator fan. And a replacement (slim) a/c fan, due to external wastegate. I should explore different fan options.

------------------
** Ted-95 GSX **

·
Registered
205 Posts
wow...makes me think twice about that FMIC. I didn't realize that there were overheating problems with them. I think I'll do a little more research on options before I actually get one. I know Summit sells pretty slim fans. It should work well with the Fluidyne Radiators. As for the AC compressor, I hope it doesn't get in the way when I do make the upgrades. I'd hate to sweat like a pig on my leather seats! How about building one of those scoops under the radiator (similar to the 83 and up Camaro's)? Would that help?

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a question. You people with overheating problems, what year do you have. Seems like the pre-97 years all have a limted amount of space in the front. But 97-99 have the big mouth opening for a FMIC with enough air flow for the radiator.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the Buschar FMIC, I like the performance but not the Increased temp and teh over heating. It happens all teh time when it is hot out, no ac because it will over heat and if you are not moving teh car will just overheat because no air being pushed into the front. The kit came with 1 spal slim fan but it doesn't seem to do much except make alot of noise. A second one would be definitly better. But as for a normal temp day teh FMIC kills instant performance.
PS. it also killed my AT tranny on my gsx

------------------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts