DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to cars in general and was wondering why there is a max injector size you can use with an FMU. For example, what would be the problem with running 1000cc injectors with a stock ECU and just an FMU? I am not planning on running 1000cc injectors but I want to know the reason why there is a limit to how high you can go with a stock tune and an FMU. The injector size I would like to run is 650cc. The FMU is just a temporary thing until I learn how to install megasquirt. Thanks.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,269 Posts
Its because you can only tune out the traits of larger injectors to a certain point without actually re-writing the ecu code, the fmu is a band aid at best and not a very good one at that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its because you can only tune out the traits of larger injectors to a certain point without actually re-writing the ecu code, the fmu is a band aid at best and not a very good one at that.
So what is the maximum size injector I can run?

·
Honorary Moderator
1,376 Posts
Why do you want to run a larger injector on a stock non-turbo motor?

You're going about the upgrade path wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plan is to turbo it first at around 8 psi then upgrade the engine internals to handle more boost. The injectors will be one of the later parts but this process will happen fairly quickly because I have a decent amount of money saved up.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,376 Posts
Get the tuning device installed and a wideband, then worry about the other stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the tuning device installed and a wideband, then worry about the other stuff.
The problem is finding an available megasquirt unit. The places I have looked so far seem to be out of stock. I was thinking about running 8 injectors and an AIC. The process seems to be fairly straight forward and there are plenty of controllers available.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,269 Posts
Did you try going directly to diy autotune?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts