DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a slight problem. Lately I rebuilt my 92 tsi engine. Filled it with 95 slugs and replaced all brgs,seals,& gaskets. I also replaced all timing belt components (pulleys,tensioner).
My problem is I am getting a whirring noise comming from the t-belt area. It sounds as if the t-belt cover is touching. BUT it makes the same sound WITHOUT the cover on.

I did not replace the oil pump gears,, what are the chances it's that ?

Please help.. Very annoying sound !!!
James

·
Registered
18 Posts
This subject has been covered on the Digest lately. It *could* be your balance shaft belt is too tight. Dallace Marable posted on this problem on Wed. He just said that he re-adjusted the belt and the noise went away. Somebody else posted a similar problem a while back, but I didn't really follow it to read the cure.

Scott

------------------
DIG through the ditches, and BURN through the witches, and SLAM in the back o' ma' DRAGU-LA-AA!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well,
I thought of that while i was in there. While I did not re-adjust my balance belt b/c the tech book said it should be taught on top and mine had about 1/16-1/8 inch of deflection in it. So I don't think it's to tight..but next time I feel eager I will try that..Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
1/16 to 1/8 is too tight according to the VFAQ. It should be 0.2 to 0.28 inch (about 1/4")using the deflection method.

------------------
Chris Holmes
'91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051
Turbo + Intercooler = The Replacement For Displacement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe,
I have already replaced every timing component with New Mitsu components including the tensioner....I have heard of balance belts being to tight, So i will try that as soon as I get some good weather around here !
Thanks for your input !
James

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
It sounds like you have a dying hydraulic t-belt tensioner. Once this goes bad, it makes a sound that is somewhat similar to lifter noises in these cars. When doing a T-belt replacement, this should be replaced as well.

Josh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts