DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my turbo went about a week ago. Monday i called forced performance up to order a turbo, they said i would have it by friday with over night shipping. They called me on Tuesday telling me that the turbo was done and ready, i had it in my hands by Wendsday.

Ripping fun:

Ok, this is what i took off:

Intake
Radiator
Lower IC pipe
Lower and Upper Heat sheild
O2 Sensor

Everything came off easy, the lower heat sheild was a little bitchy to get off. The Upper bolts where a pain in the nuts, get a breaker bar or a pipe to get those off.

Now, when you drop the turbo, the upper oil line was getting snaged around the turbo, so you will have to fight with it a little bit.

Install:

Ok, you have to remove some parts off the stock turbo. Both water lines if you go that route. The one problem that i fell into was the intake side housing was shifted a little bit, about 3-4mm off. So putting on the lower water line was impossible with the lower wastegate bolt in place. Needed to move the housing my finding a big ass pair of snap ring plyers.

So far up to this point i have everything connected to the turbo, i am just waiting the o2 housing from 122 performance. The turbo should be on today Friday. So i will tell you how that goes.

Few side notes, If you get the braided line, it replaces both stock lines, the part that connects to the oil filter is a bitch to get off, take a hack saw or a air grinder to the line and take the big bolt off with a 19mm wrench. Get a huge bucket when you take off the water lines off the turbo, its messy. And take the whole radiator out, its a lot easyer to work.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good review except for one nit-pick; there is no "T" in the FP Big28. Also, if you need to research anything about this turbo, there is about a 25 page long thread elsewhere in Parts Reviews. Have fun with the new setup!

·
Registered
397 Posts
as far as the big28 installation, is the braided oil line recommended or should you be using new OEM feed and return lines? how about using the old lines? what other new items did you need for the install (i.e. washers, other hoses, gaskets, etc...)

·
Registered
721 Posts
You cannot use the braided line from RRE. FP recommends using the stock lines (bought new for the install, of course). You may see oil leak past the seals in the turbo. I had this happen on a FPbig28 I put in a friends car, sent the turbo back to FP, turns out the thrust bearing at the compressor side was out of spec. Go figure.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just got my fp Big28 in last night and I ordered a stainless oil-feed line with my turbo from FP, I wouldn't reuse that stock piping, then again I can't because I destroyed it in the removal process :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts