DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rethinkin my thoughts on not spendin very much I started noticing how much of a difference + $400-500 makes in a system. So heres my revamped system idea. mtx 81000D amp (1000 watt), kicker S15L7, panasonic HU, infinitay kappas, and a 6 cu. ft. sealed box for 15" sub.

http://store.yahoo.com/discountsonline/mtxthun50at4.html

http://store.yahoo.com/discountsonline/kicsols1.html

http://store.yahoo.com/discountsonline/inkap6525i63.html

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=1475

Tell me what u think. I'm debating whether to go with a fosgate 1500 watt at 1ohms. For about $200 over the mtx amp.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Should be just loud enough to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. 6 cubic feet is pretty big, are you going to vent it? Another combo that gets really loud that you might want to consider is a JBL 1200.1 (or two :) ) and a Digital Designs 9515 or Resonant Engineering XXX 15. Just ideas.... anyway, Im sure you would be very happy with the set up you picked out.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Man if you can get good signal to that sub, it will make you crap out your Taco Bell !

Man, there's something about the low frequency rumble of a tuned sub box + good EQ control to it.... mmmmm. I'm diggin your setup, man, looks like you are a good shopper too - hopefully that refurb deck works out well, I've never had the guts to get refurb stuff that costs over $100 ! hehe :D

What box designs are you thinking of to have a 6 cubic foot interior volume ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just curious...
How come 1 15"? You could get 2 nice 12's and use less than HALF of that cabinet volume and still have enough bass to make you pee... 6cf is a LOT of space.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Apocalypse said:
Should be just loud enough to rattle the fillings out of your teeth. 6 cubic feet is pretty big, are you going to vent it? Another combo that gets really loud that you might want to consider is a JBL 1200.1 (or two :) ) and a Digital Designs 9515 or Resonant Engineering XXX 15. Just ideas.... anyway, Im sure you would be very happy with the set up you picked out.

I sure would hope that he is Porting the 6 cubic foot box.
DD's are MEAN subs.

Just make sure that you make the box to specs for SPL. A crappy box that isnt made to the dimensions doesnt let the sub perform to its limits.

Friend of mine has that Deck. He doesnt think to highly of it. But i havent heard from anyone else about it so that is just one persons opinion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theamazingjime said:
Just curious...
How come 1 15"? You could get 2 nice 12's and use less than HALF of that cabinet volume and still have enough bass to make you pee... 6cf is a LOT of space.
True I could have 2 12"s but I want the great bass setup. I can see it now, people won't beleive me that I have one 15". The 6 cu ft box does have me a little worried but i can take out the covering flap of the trunk. Would need to tint windows then for sure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The box is makin me wonder. I'm thinkin just buy one instead of makin a shitty one. Only thing is can't find any of my specs locally. Their wouldn't happen to be any sites that have em:confused:

·
Registered
747 Posts
billdo_83 said:
I sure would hope that he is Porting the 6 cubic foot box.
DD's are MEAN subs.
Amen! I built a van once with 8 DD 15's. Ouch!

The maximum box size for the trunk of a 2g (without loosing the rear seats or removing plastic) is 16 high x 23 deep x 34 wide. That is 7.24 cu ft, so it will fit. I'd Port it with the woofer facing up, It'll be LOUD! For some reason, those woofers (L7) seem to work well facing any direction.
Sealed will work, too; but ported is louder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I said sealed earlier. Didn't mean that thou. Sealed - Ported I get confused:p

To clarify I meant ported.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Slapster, you've gto mail.

BTW what is the benefits of having a 15" Vs. a 12"???

·
Registered
264 Posts
Slappster said:
The box is makin me wonder. I'm thinkin just buy one instead of makin a shitty one. Only thing is can't find any of my specs locally. Their wouldn't happen to be any sites that have em:confused:
You could always call up the friendly Tech people of who ever you buy your sub from. They know how many cubes to use for best SPL. You would have to do a custom install of the box ie. mold it to the trunk, in order to use all of the space that these teeny cars can offer you.

I dont know of any boxes that you can buy that are made for the trunk of a DSM. Either you or else your going have to take your car to a Car Audio store and they are going to have to make a custom box.

umiami80 said:
For the most part, the bigger the sub the more bass that it will put out. This isnt always the case though. Crappy 15" subs wont put out nearly the bass of a good 12" sub. The bigger the cone of the sub is the more air that it can push.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
umiami80 said:
Slapster, you've gto mail.

I've heard that 15" with a 500watt amp. And it sounded better then two 12s (mtx 8000s) with a better amp.

·
Registered
747 Posts
It's because a 15" woofer is capable of reproducing LOWER frequencies than a 12". The larger the woofer, the lower it will play. I used to have a Clarion Thunderdome 32" woofer (yes 32"), and it played down to 5 hz (not that the human ear can hear anything below 20hz, though).

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
while i was a huge fan of the round solobarics, i think the square ones are seriously lacking. it'll be loud, sure, but it will sound like crap. out of all the ones i've heard in several vehicles, they have horrible sq.

the DD's are mean, no doubt about it.
orion HCCA subs are also mean as hell.
you could also look into the JL W7's they're loud, and very clean.
or
the ever popular www.audiomobileinc.com :D if you get the audiomobile's, you won't be disappointed...

that amp is a great sub amp though for the price. be sure to get a cap, and it'll clean things up nicely ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cap? huh?

Are those audiomobileinc subs the type R's I hear everybody talk about?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What sub or combo of subs would you recomend from audiomobile? 2 12"s? 2 15"s? 3 10"s?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
a couple audiomobile MASS 12's will do more than you will EVER ask them to! they are very accurate and clean, and LOUD with some power :)

a cap is a capacitor... get about a 1 farad cap per 1000 watts RMS as a general rule of thumb... it will take a lot of strain off the car's electrical system, and make the sub/amp work a lot better becaue they ALWAYS have the power they need for optimum performance :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
You forgot to mention what kind of Dbs you want to hit.

Loud to one person might be very quite to another.

I dont like the square subs at all...
they just dont cut it for me...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Caps arent all that great. They arent the wonder band-aid they seem to be. Yeah, when the bass hits they supply the amp with a short burst of power. Then, when the bass note stops they just suck it right back off the alternator to recharge. I would upgrade the big wires under the hood way before I would put in a cap. If you do the wires (Alt to Batt, Batt to amp and -Batt to ground) with 4 guage, or even 2 guage it would help out more than a cap. If you do this, and the lights dont dim when it hits, no need for a cap.
-Beau

1 - 20 of 28 Posts