DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start out saying that my review probably can't touch Van's. His is just about perfect. Still, following his example I will try to give you some good information and pictures. I invite any other 3052 owners to contribute here as well, or not, as you wish.

I started out shopping with other vendors for a ball bearing turbo, but the relatively new Turbine housing that FP offers grabbed me. I fell in love with it. Perhaps an even bigger factor is that they have a first rate reputation for customer service. The cost seemed a little high, but in this case you certainly get what you pay for.

Parts I installed (mostly)

I'm quoting a couple of pieces of information directly from FP's site:
"To avoid a common problem with turbocharger exhaust housings, cracking, the FP30 turbine housing is investment cast in 310 stainless steel for high temperature strength and corrosion resistance. Test units in the field for almost two years showed no cracking or erosion."

That among other things sold me.

In this first post I would like to talk about the installation of the turbo and enclose a few pictures. Give me one about ten days and I'll have some very detailed performance evaluations.

DSMtalk thread with pictures of the Turbo outside of the car

I was able to reach someone on the phone nearly every time I called FP. ~wow~ I received everything in three days. Installation was went smoothly. But, I did discover that you want to put the power steering pump back in the car BEFORE you try to bolt in the turbo. Trust me on that. I did need to rotate the compressor cover to clear my engine mount and mate up with my intercooler piping. Be prepared to do that.
Also, get your wastegate from FP. I didn't know that FP grinds a small portion of the Wastegate so that it will clear the Exhaust manifold. I ended up doing it myself because I bought my external wastegate somewhere else. I would have saved myself from time if I had gone through FP. The V-Band clamps are ingenious. I just love those things. It made getting FP's 02 Housing on so much easier than any experience I have had in the past. One thing though that helped me hook the downpipe up to the FP 02 Housing...ALLOT; If you can, disconnect your downpipe from the rest of the exhaust, then bolt the down pipe to the 02 housing. It made things ten times easier to hook up the down pipe.
Others will have different experiences..but for me, any other way was much harder.

I think the way FP has designed this kit makes it a work of art. The clearance between the compressor cover and the water pipe, between the external wastegate and the Power steering bolt, etc. etc. implied thoughtful and intelligent design. A couple of times I stood back and just said to myself, "Damn, this is the way all turbo installations should go."

FP's oil feed line, and braided Oil return line are part of the masterpiece. When you see the oil return line, the heavy duty feel and make of it, you'll understand even more so the appreciation I have developed for this entire package.

I am not one who usually goes for cosmetic effects. But this time I did. I had both the compressor housing and the turbine polished. That turbo looks like sunlight poured into the form of a turbo. I could not be happier with how it looked when I took it out of the box.

Here are a number of pictures (some are needless, but great to look at) of the turbo installed in my car, one shot of it on my work counter, a shot of how the Oil Return line looks, the FP Logo, etc. I apologize for the amateur photography.

Again, give me a week or two and I'll have some thorough performance evaluations.

1 Assembled on work Table
2 View in car
3 View in Car
4 Water Pipe clearance
5 FP logo on turbo displayed
6 View in Car straight on
7 FP logo and view of Turbo from Passengers side
8 If you have to use a sidemount for a month or two in the winter
9 Close up of Turbo and connections
10 Oil Return Line installed
11 FP Intake
12 FP Intake
13 FP Intake
14 FP Logo on Silicone Hose between Turbo and Intake
15 Overall shot of Turbo Installed

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
What's up with that water line looping in front of the intake pipe and back into the t-stat housing? Looks like a classic DSM hack to me!

j/k... Nice install job. Are you using an electronic boost controller?

·
Honorary Moderator
4,835 Posts
Nice pix

Very nice work SleepRDSM. I have a simple question for you. Where did you get your SAMCO 90* hose? I may need one on my car.

Have you turned the boost "up" yet?:D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nukefission said:
Looks like a classic DSM hack to me!
Heck yea!

I'm actually using a GM boost control solenoid with the AEM E.M.S.
This Monday I'm getting the whole set up tuned. So Tuesday I hope to do a review on the 3052 (boost turned up=) and the AEM E.M.S.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great review. I am happy about this turbo but I have some time before I purchase it. Keep us all informed and up to date!

ps. how much did everything cost?

·
Registered
366 Posts
hopefully he isnt finding out spool times and such with that dinky stock sidemount :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just got back from getting the car tuned. Yes, I am using a stock sidemount intercooler for a couple of months. With the restriction of the SMIC I can still run the car full throttle at 14 psi with little to no knock. Higher boost is possible in lower gears with very little knock, but until I figure out how to set a boost level for each gear, 14 is a very safe number for 1rst through 5th. That is where the boost will stay until the front mount goes in. It is insane how much the air heats up through a stock side mount in 4rth and 5th gear, even when its 70 degrees outside.

Disclaimer: There are allot of guys with some very very quick cars on this web site. They have the right to laugh when I say the following stuff. I am not a weekly drag racer or a connoisseur of large turbo's.

That said, my car feels Fast as HELL at only 14psi!!! I cannot believe how hard and how quick the power hits when I go full throttle. I have been hooting, hollering, and screaming with delight over the power. :D
(I'm the type that lets you know when I hate something, or when I love it, with great enthusiasm)
This set up makes my car when it had a 14B at 17psi feel like a slug. I'm going to post screen shots of data logs with boost, rpm, and throttle comparisons >>>With a stinkin side mount. Just give me some time. I need to fix a serious oil leak first.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Do you have dyno # for 14 PSI? You can say 200 HP, 350 HP, I won't mock your results :)

Do you have problem with the return line leak? First my oil feed is leaking, I had to take off the water line, drain lots of coolant, and tighten it a little (very little clearance) . Still seem to leak a little. :confused: I am not sure what to do, it's pretty damn tight already.

My return line have oil drops drip out at an alarming rate. oddly the pan side is OK. I am working on that right now

·
Registered
657 Posts
SleepR DSM said:
I just got back from getting the car tuned. Yes, I am using a stock sidemount intercooler for a couple of months. With the restriction of the SMIC I can still run the car full throttle at 14 psi with little to no knock. Higher boost is possible in lower gears with very little knock, but until I figure out how to set a boost level for each gear, 14 is a very safe number for 1rst through 5th. That is where the boost will stay until the front mount goes in. It is insane how much the air heats up through a stock side mount in 4rth and 5th gear, even when its 70 degrees outside.

Disclaimer: There are allot of guys with some very very quick cars on this web site. They have the right to laugh when I say the following stuff. I am not a weekly drag racer or a connoisseur of large turbo's.

That said, my car feels Fast as HELL at only 14psi!!! I cannot believe how hard and how quick the power hits when I go full throttle. I have been hooting, hollering, and screaming with delight over the power. :D
(I'm the type that lets you know when I hate something, or when I love it, with great enthusiasm)
This set up makes my car when it had a 14B at 17psi feel like a slug. I'm going to post screen shots of data logs with boost, rpm, and throttle comparisons >>>With a stinkin side mount. Just give me some time. I need to fix a serious oil leak first.
That is how I feel about my pte 50 trim at 13psi. I am also on the stick smic but the stock pump as well (255 was defective). The power is way more than the t25. I can't wait to see what it does at 20 psi.

1 - 20 of 227 Posts