DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
polished the 1G BOV (was army green)
polished the bolts on the BOV (Brode pipe -were bronze color)
took the metalic sticker off the radiator cap
polished the metal on the power steering cap (was army green)

polished the heat shield (was dull with an X ?)
also the spark plug cover bolts

I'll do the bolts on there next

·
Registered
15 Posts
The heat shield looks very nice. But I have to ask how did you get the hole for the egt to come out so perfect? When I drilled mine the double layer metal screwed me up so now the hole has a torn look that I want to fix.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

That looks really good. How did you do it and what did you use?! I wanna polish up some underhood parts.

·
Banned
2,699 Posts
when i did mine i used a drummel and a polishing sand tool. dont have picks yet tho =\

·
Registered
47 Posts
tell us, oh wise one. when I replaced my turbo with a T3, I took a drill with a wire brush bit and polished the compessor housing, but it didn't come out as shiney as I wanted it to. What did you use? Doesn't this smiley look hot! :created:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a $20 "dremel" from walmart - very handy
mothers polish - I think the can is better then the bottle

I just used a brillo (?)pad then lots of elbow grease with the mothers and a rag

for the bolts I also used the dremel with a wire brush tip
then a polish tip with the mothers

for EGT hole I just market it and used the largest drill bit then used the handy dremel to enlarge it. In retrospec I could have made it a bit smaller.

Also every 2G I see - the brake fluid holder is rusted
so I paid mine black awhile back
next to the brake fluid (last pic) left you can see a braket thats army green. I'm gonna paint that black as well and no more of that ugly green.

Next I will do the spark plug bolts on the sides
I did a heat shield bolt and they dont shine just stay dark (maybe replace them) ...and then really go at the valve cover

·
Registered
401 Posts
cool; I'm going to do a bunch pf parts in my engine bay next spring. I've already repainted the misc brackets on the firewall (brake fluid, clutch fluid, vaccum solenoids).

I just used spray cans of black and silver paint, and clear coat. About 3-4 layers of paint and 3-4 layers of clear coats and those brackets all looked awesome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tried doing my brackets and they still look like crap. They are all rusty and fragile. How could I make em look nice?:dunno:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
evoir ,Looks good...I have a few questions.

Did you strip your Brode pipe 1st with paint stripper?

Which wire brush did you get for your Dremel? I have teh Polishing kit already fro mine.

How did you strip the paint off the Army Green cap? I have no idea why Mitsu did that.LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Brode pipe wasnt painted.
The bolts he supplies for the 1G BOV are bronze color.

the bit I used was a flat wire disc

to get the paint off I used that (brilo?) pad, its like using sandpaper

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
well considering all the polish does is smoove out the metal, like a real fine sandpaper, it itself doesnt give the part a chrome look... I did my valve cover a few months ago and all i have to do is once or twice a month hit it with some more polish to keep the bling there.

·
Registered
401 Posts
FYI, if anyone's looking to replace some of the common rusty-as-hell 2G engine parts, here's a few I checked out recently.

Exhaust manifold heat shielding MR386056
Braket, Brake Fluid Reservoir MR895866
Braket, Clutch Fluid Reservoir MB910567
Bracket, Hood Alarm Trigger MR182808
Plate, Hood Prop Rod MB866536

·
Registered
301 Posts
evoir,

What type of EGT probe do you have? The Autometer type with the clamp or the VDO type that you have to tap an 1/8" hole in the manifold? I have a VDO and I have to tap mine this week. I was trying to figure out where to tap the hole so that the manifold was deep enough that the probe doesn't touch the other side.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TRE probe - its small so depth wasnt a issue.

FWIW the 1st post I wrote "power steering" but that should be crusie control

·
Registered
733 Posts
I must commend you. That looks fantastic.

When I head home for winter break, I'm going to endeavor to polish some underhood items.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts