DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any front mounts. I am also looking for some information on effeciency and pressure drop. I am looking to run low 12's on my 95 GSX. I know there are up and down intercoolers and I heard from a reliable source that these are very good on our cars. But i also don't want to pay more than about 600-800 for an intercooler. Used ones ok. I know the Apex and the Greddy perform well, but are they as good or better as far as performance (not looks) as compared to a Spearco or Griffin core? And also any technical info on up-and-down cores as compared to side-to-side cores??? Thanx again in advance ( I have some technical knowledge but no experience, which is why I am asking you guys too :) )

·
Registered
729 Posts
A top to bottom will give less pressure loss because the air going through it has more channels to go through and the channels arent as long. Less internal drag means less pressure loss.
I think a side to side has the potential to cool the air better because the air is in each channel longer, allowing more time for heat transfer, but this is at the cost of pressure drop. Then again the air is forced through a side to side at a higher velocity than the top to bottom, so heat transfer time becomes less.

All in all i would definatly recommend a top to bottom with a bar/plate core for the highest performance.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the recommendation... what is a bar/plate? And what about the apex intercooler... it looks different that greddy, spearco and griffin ones, are the fins just bigger?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I know for sure that spearco uses a bar and plate style core. I'm not sure who else uses this style.
The other core design, like our stocker, is known as an extruded tube and fin design. This design is inferior because it has much more pressure loss for its cooling ability.

You can always ask the people you order from what style any given intercooler is. If they do not know, you are dealing with the wrong people.

[This message has been edited by gsxalex (edited September 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
The way the piping is configured in our cars I would go with a side to side flowing I/C. The bends will not be as sharp and you'll have less piping to fill.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree, top to bottom flows are junk. they may be more eficient, but with the endtanks the way they are, the end of the ic is wasted space. Apex uses a bar plate design, but if you look closely they are made for front mounting. The "bars" are angled to provide better flow through the intercooler, not around.

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST

[This message has been edited by 4npower (edited September 20, 2000).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts