DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did servce on the old talon on labor day. the timing belt/water pump was a cake walk. what turned out rough was the attempted install of rebuilt half shafts. the driver's side shaft has it's spline frozen to the hub. heat , hammers and a really big wheel puller have not got this thing to budge! any ideas? i'm thinking i'm going to have to pop the ball joint and toss the whole steering knuckle.........greg

·
Registered
123 Posts
I doubt this is the prob...but you did take off the retaining nut right? All else fails take the whole thing off and put it in a press. good chance you'll ruin the wheel bearing though if you haven't already.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes pauly, i took the nut off! it too was tough. i broke a craftsman 1/2" breaker bar on the retaining nut. it came off with a chisle.
i could pull all of this stuff off and press it out at work but i can't have a car down right now; i threw a rod in my truck! greg

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this problem on my AWD. Front left wheel bearing was bad but the damn hub assembly was frozen to the axel. Not knowing any better the mechanic said he's going to have to cut the axel and put a new one in. A few months later had to change the wheel bearing in the right front. Fortunately I was at my dad's who is a top notch mechanic. The assembly was again frozen to the axel. So what we did was loosen everything up and go out and do a few holeshots. sure eough when we got back the hub came pretty much right off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts