DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering when should you change your fuel filer, like at a certain mileage? Or just whenever?

Also was wondering if any were better then others, like what kind do you guys buy, Or should i just get a 255LPH in tank and use that filter they give you, this would be for my 96 'clipse, the easier to change one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
By rule of thumb... whenever you do a tune up you may as well do the fuel filter. There really isn't a mileage you can set and say "this is a good time" as everyone drives their car differently. The tune-up rule has worked fine for me because it is easier to tell when your car is starting to run crappy in general and by that it's better for your engine to get the whole 9 yards. ( I think i do full on tune-ups every 30K or so.. between my 2 cars I have only done 3 tune ups counting those that I did when I first bought the cars.)

Brand-wise I think Fram makes pretty good fuel filters... if you want to go for the absolute best K&N makes fuel filters but I do not know if they make them for our cars or not....

Hope that helps ya
-Aaron

·
Registered
838 Posts
The small filter in the tank is just a fuel strainer, it's only purpose is to filter out the big stuff and to make the fuel pump last longer... it's not really a thing you should replace at every tune up, cause it usually doesnt hold the dirt it filters out cause the gas is constantly washing it off. You really only should replace it if it's broken, or if you're putting in a new fuel pump. I agree with cleanGS... 30k or so is good for the main filter, especially if you're car isn't stock, cause you're flowing alot more fuel through the filter than you were before. I guess it really depends on what you're putting in the tank though... My car is at 100k and i just replaced the factory filter (wasn't clogged, just cause I was doing work on the lines anyway).

zzzz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts