DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2G has a K&N intake, UIP, 1G BOV,
NGK plug/wires, Arospeed muffler, free mods

With the extra air flow, my Air/fuel ratio gauge is reading lean or close to lean.

Is a fuel pressure regulater a good next step? How do they work?

·
Registered
113 Posts
No.
Your next step should be to rewire the fuel pump with a heavier gauge wire. You can find the exact word for word instructions on dsm.org. It's pretty easy and should take you no more that an hour with the right parts.

It seems the flimsy wire that Mitsu put in there only gives the fuel pump 8-9 volts as opposed to around 12 from the battery. By adding more voltage, the pump will flow more.
You may also want to invest in an AFC to adjust the air/fuel the way your car needs it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I'll give it a try. Should there be any different reading on my A/F gauge and/or any difference in driving characteristics?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got done reading the directions for rewiring the fuel pump....It doesn't look that much fun....is it really worth it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's worth every penny of the $10 that you might spend. It only took me about an hour to do the whole setup with a freind on his 2G. It's a very easy and basic mod that you can do that will also help when you upgrade fuel pumps later when you get a bigger turbo.

Just my .02

------------------
Jerry
11.98 @ 113
best mph of 115.99
My Ride

·
Registered
217 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My 2G has a K&N intake, UIP, 1G BOV, NGK plug/wires, Arospeed muffler, free mods<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you think you are running lean??? I have just a tad more mods than you and I run pig rich.

Check your plugs, mine are BLACK!!! :/

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

[This message has been edited by mospeed (edited October 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Autometer gauge is always blinking in the lean section. What does a lean running engine spark plug look like?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Actually, looking at your mods, none of them would really make you run lean. The K&N filter will lean you out a little but not that much. I would get the Jumptronix A/F Meter and measure it with an actual number. (Should be between .87 and .90 through all RPM ranges)

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Nope, it's rectangular. Go to RRE's site and check it out. I'm still waiting for mine to come. www.roadraceengineering.com

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TURBOWIZARD...On rewiring the fp, the 10 guage connects to the inline fuse holder, the other side of the fuse holder has 10in of 10 guage with a circular crimp connector on the end.....where does that circular crimp connector with the wire connect to in order to receive power???? I hope this makes sense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts