DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it's possible to wire the positive wire for a fuel pump straight from the battery? Wire connects to the "+" of battery then has 30A fuse (or whatever you suggest), then on/off switch (to manually activate it) and then the wire goes straight to the black and white wire on the fuel pump. Yes, I'll be using thicker wires, my question is do you think this would work? Would I need another fuse after the switch or a a bigger one and etc.

Thanks for all the comments.

In case you're wondering why I want to do this rather than just a regular fuel pump rewire thing, one less relay, and against theft.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Just don't forget to switch it on when you go to start the car and think something is wrong with it! Lol, I know I would do something stupid like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying guys!!! So, I can use the 30A fuse, and not worry about blowing that, since I think that's what the regular fuel pump rewiring uses...

I'm usually on dsmtuners.com but I will post pics in "Lounge" once I'm done with my car. Check back in a month. It should be a blast 2.3 with BC280 cams= idles like a V8, still need a couple things like IC piping, etc.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The cleaner option is to just do a standard rewire and use the relay. What's better about finding a high load switch that has to be mounted in the dash area as opposed to a relay hidden next to the pump? If you want the ability to switch the pump on and off, run a seperate (low load) wire to the relay instead of using the stock trigger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good one! I think I can actually use the relay from ABS unit that I removed. So, I'll just run a low load wire to the relay (with switch in it), got it. Thanks.

Another reason for this would be, that I can fill the fuel rail with gas, and then crank the car, since I removed the solenoids, and running a DSMLink... The fuel pump starts working once the engine is cranking, rather than when the key is in "ON" position(with solenoids). DD/winter car, I hope this makes some sense.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If youre asking about wiring in a switch, the switch IS a relay. Its the same amount of work to install a switch as it does a relay. You could make it a hidden switch only you knew where it was located, but ultimately, who would want to steal one of our POS DSMs anyway? (I keed I keed)

But yeah, same exact process as a relay. The switch IS a relay of sorts anyway.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You really should have wired it to a "switched" source so the pump runs if the ignition is on.

You should have actually ran it from the fuel pump relay so you can control it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts