DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting a Walbro fuel pump and i was wondering what does everyone mean when they say it is to loud? Also will i expect a good hp gain and how will i be able to adust it if it is to lean/rich. I have a Air Fuel guage so thats a start.

·
Registered
871 Posts
the fuel pump will whine...high pitched whine. kinda like a car stereo that is improperly wired....engine noise type.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a Walbro (have yet to install it). So I'll see how much louder it is. I've heard that the noise is an issue if it is not installed propperly. (the fuel tank becomes a resonator).

You can't directly control fuel delivery from the pump itself. Through piggy-back systems, fuel curves can be modified to fully utilize a higher capacity pump. The main reason I got mine is because I want to raise my boost beyond the 15-16psi limit of the stock fuel pmup. It's cheap insurance when compared to the price of a new engine! And if I do get a computer controlled system (like S-AFC), then I will already have the pump. Only, I need an air/fuel gauge to see what I'm doing before I increase the boost. > :(

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a walbro in and the tone from pump is hardly as bad as some people make it out to be. I don't even hear it anymore and anyone thats been in my car hasn't said anything about it. Only when the tone changes can I notice it, (turn signal's, etc).

------------------
92 Talon AWD

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a walbro pump installed and I love it specially for $115 it was a great buy! It's not that loud at all and it keeps a great fuel pressure, You can control A/F ratio with Apexi's Super AFC by changing injector's cycle duty.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TurboMitsu (edited September 21, 2000).]

·
Registered
157 Posts
How loud is the whine from the Walbro unit? I've got one sitting here waiting to go in but am hesitant due to the things that i've heard about the loud whining that comes from this pump. I'm currently looking for a Supra TT pump to replace it.
Can the whine be heard over road noise? I also have a somewhat loud 3" exhaust that drowns out a LOT!!! If anyone can compare loudness level to anything, that would be appreciated.

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
871 Posts
it's not that loud, it isn't like your gonna be driving down the road and as you go by people on the sidewalks cover thier ears :D
a t-25 with a k & n air filter is louder then the walbro. if you have an exhaust you'll really have to listen for it.
JUST BUY IT !!!!!!!! it's cheap and it gets the job done.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
836 Posts
I love listening to that beautiful sound of a pump whine mixed with a nice exhaust tone hmmm... lay back and relax while the timer does it's job :) I'm serious I do that - when I get out of my car and it's still running on the timer I hang around it and enjoy that sound :D can’t hide it! I love dsm’s I guess I can call myself a real enthusiast :)

------------------

·
Registered
701 Posts
The pump isnt that bad at all, it actually sounds cool, problem is, dingbats such as my friends say crap like " jeez, that pump is farkin loud...huh huh" its not loud, it has a smooth hum to it, kinda like the hum on a mercury cougar :). Im just pissed about the fact that I have a pump that hums and F&[email protected]^* whistles too, it sounds like garbage, im just pissed that Im gonna have to pull it out again and inspect it.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
After 1 day in the car with the Walbro you will forget it is even there. Bill is right when he says just a k&n will drown it out. As for the change in pitch when the blinkers or turn signal is no can be eliminated by rewiring the pump with a smaller guage wire. :)

------------------
1995 Talon TSI fwd

·
Registered
21 Posts
Which one is the best to get. Walbro offers a high pressure version and a standard. What is required for a high pressure model? FPR? I have an AFC.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For about $185 you can get s Toyo Supra fuel pump that flows more then Walbro pump.
www.partznet.com has them
Think there was even a group buy on them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can't hear my fuel pump at all.
I heard it flow just as much as some of the $300 race pumps that Bushcur sells?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a Walbro High-Pressure fuel pump, and I'm sick of people whining (pun intended) about the noise!! It's nothing! The only time the pump would be anything close to loud is if it's installed wrong and uses the gastank as a resonator, like someone said earlier. You should already have an exhaust if you're doing an upgraded fuel pump, and the exhaust is plenty loud to drown out any normal pump whine. I never notice mine, unless I'm standing at the back of the car while it's running, and it's real quiet outside. I've never had a single person comment on the noise, either in or outside the car. Now, I've heard that the High-Pressure Walbro's (which I have) are supposed to be slightly quieter than the regular ones, but I've never compared to two.

And for $115, you can't beat the deal. But, if it makes someone feel better to get a Supra/Nos/Cosmo/Nippondenso pump instead, that's cool, but wasting $$ IMO.

------------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Now I understand that when you put a pump in, you can use an AFC (which I have) to lean out the mixture. Should you also have a fuel pressure regulator as well?Also, with the upgraded pump, do you still need to do the rewire, or are the stock wires good enough?

I'm asking because I know I am going to have to do it sooner or later, and I hate messing with anything fuel related, so I want to make sure whn i do it that I do it right.

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Frank,

I recomend the Supra TT pump. It is in tank and it is quiet and it is good for up to 650 horses or so. Even then you can rewire it to get more horses. It will easily take you into the 10s.

Fred
90' GSX
[email protected] stock minus boost solenoid and 141k miles.

·
Registered
333 Posts
the walbro is only loud on some models.
on a 1G FWD you cant even hear it.
on a 1G AWD barely can hear it
on a 2G FWD you can hear it real well
never heard one on a 2G AWD yet.

thats just my experience with the pump.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts