DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I got another question. I want to upgrade my fuel pump for my upcoming turbo(FINALLY!!! real power!). My question is, what is the quietest aftermarket fuel pump? Does Nippendenso make a pump for 2G's and which is it? I have heard that the Walbros' are quite loud compared to stock. My car is a daily driver and I'd like to keep it quiet. Thanks for any help.

------------------
Brian P.
Best time: won't even try until I get a decent turbo

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
I don't know "which" Nippendenso it is, but any of the DSM vendors should set you straight.

As far as loudness, I have used both, the ND and the Walbro. The ND was just like stock, no noise whatsoever. The Walbro, is definately audible, but noise is not an issue IMHO. It is noticable when you are low on gas, but when you have a decent amount of fuel in the tank, it insulates the sound and you really don't notice it.

Note however, that if you "hardwire" your pump straight to the battery, you will hear more noise than if it was working on the "stock" voltage. STill not a major issue even with the hardwiring though. (Especially if you have an upgraded exhaust which helps cover up the noise.)

------------------
Ted - 95 GSX
[email protected] MPH

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've got the denso pump that buschur sells and it is slightly audiable, like Ted said, but it isn't something you really notice unless you listen for it. Just keep the radio on and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i'm using the denso 190lph pump in my 2g and you cant hear it unless you put your ear on the back seat or get under the car when it is on. i got it at roadrace eng. about a year ago because they were the cheapest around. i also have a 95 civic turbo which i just installed the walbro 255lph(jegs=$119 under the granetelli name) and honestly i don't understand what everybody complains about. you can hear it but i drive cars with loud turbo's and exhaust's not lexus's or bmw's so it doesn't matter to much to have a little whine back there, and anyways the walbro let's you know when it's time to refuel.

bill

·
Registered
921 Posts
Bill people bitch b/c they just have to bitch about something ;0)

Also 90% of the pumps are not installed right leading to short pump life and loud operation, most of the time the people goof up and forget to install pads to keep the pump from shaking the sender thus making the tank in to a HUGE speaker for the sounds of the pump.

I love other peoples hacks that i have to fix heheheh =-)

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
921 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WhoaTed:
if you "hardwire" your pump straight to the battery, you will hear more noise than if it was working on the "stock" voltage. STill not a major issue even with the hardwiring though. (Especially if you have an upgraded exhaust which helps cover up the noise.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

note all aftermarket pumps should be hardwired. if not it leads to shorter pump life and they are rated at higher voltage. For more info on this check out RRE's site on pumps.

·
Founder/Former Owner
5,120 Posts
I have the wires in place, When I switched from hardwire straight to the pump (bypass harness and go through a new hole for the thick gauge) I was getting gas shooting everywhere so bad under my seat it was leaking onto the pavement. :O So I just switched back to the 100% stock wiring as a quick fix of that condition, so I could get the hole welded closed... (Ahh.. am I enrolled at the DSM school of hard knocks or what?)

I am going to hook the hardwire up to the stock harness that feeds into the tank, which allegedly is almost as good to the hardwire straight to the pump. I heard that about the aftermarket pumps before (probably from you :))

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is a Cozmo fuel pump. Never heard of it. What are the specs? Where can you get it? Has anyone else had any experience with it? Let me know, thanks.

------------------
Brian P.
Best time: won't even try until I get a decent turbo

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess Cosmo fuel pump refers to the pump used on Mazda Cosmo with a 20B rotary turbo engine. Is this in-line or in-tank? Any idea where I can order one?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I forget who makes it. But Buschur sells them for $450 (yea I know ouch). It's still cheaper than going with an SX pump and fuel cell and flows enough for some serious HP and the best part is it is a replacement pump just like the Walbro. Unless your running anyhting larger than a 20g I don't think you'd need this pump. Buschur is using it in his Pumpkin AWD with no other fuel mods and he's run a 10.54 in that car. I have pretty much the same set-up in a 2g I just have .3L more displacement.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have the Walbro 255lph fuel pump in my car. You cannot hear it at all from inside of the car. From outside of the car (I've only tested it at idle, obviously) you can definitely hear the audible whine.

But, since you cant hear it inside of the car, it does not bother me in the least.

·
Registered
43 Posts
all this talk of fuel pumps
unless you plan on running a wet NOS setup or plan on going deep into the 10s a 255 will be plenty. Go with the Supra pump, after that i'd go with an SX or paxton setup with upgraded lines, rail, etc. Steer clear of Walboros, they are cheap but cant touch the O.E. reliability of a Denso, be it a 190, or supra, etc.

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST

[This message has been edited by 4npower (edited August 30, 2000).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts