DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to replace my injectors, just pulled the three bolts out, then took out the old injectors, put in the new, then went to attach the fuel rail...and it appears that I dropped two of the three "spacers" that are supposed to be on the bolts that hold the rail on. I dropped one of the down past my intake manifold's runner's and then the one closest to the fpr went down into the little pocket on the block. What I'm wondering is...should I just leave those if I can't get to them, and order new ones, or can it get caught up in something I don't want it to? I didn't even know those came off that easily, and didn't know the were off until I was trying to put the rail back on. Thanks...

·
Registered
603 Posts
You need those on there. They keep the rail level with the injectors and prevent damage to the injectors from over tightening. I think i have a set if you wanna buy em lmk.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I know I need those, my main concern is, will they cause any problems being where they are. If you don't know where I'm talking about, I'll try to take a picture. And yea, I'm pm'ing you now about the spacers.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Just try and get the pieces out either way. Just because they are in a "safe" spot now doesn't mean they'll stay there. Try a magnet probe or grabber tool. If that doesn't work, run the end of a long screwdriver on the back of a speaker or large magnet and stick the end down where you dropped the spacer. Assuming they are metal, anyway....

·
Registered
603 Posts
93_GSX said:
Just try and get the pieces out either way. Just because they are in a "safe" spot now doesn't mean they'll stay there. Try a magnet probe or grabber tool. If that doesn't work, run the end of a long screwdriver on the back of a speaker or large magnet and stick the end down where you dropped the spacer. Assuming they are metal, anyway....

The spacers are plastic.

The fuel rail and intake mani are alluminum So a magnet wont affect them unless its a rare earth magnet or what ever they are called.

·
Banned
1,669 Posts
Fyi, the spacers are plastic.They will be fine where they are, I have dropped SEVERAL down there over the years.One I can still see! They others worked their way out on the road.
Call extremepsi and order new ones.Might as well grab some injector o rings too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Little tip for when you put them on is to RTV them so they will grab the head and stay there. It will also keep them from falling off in the future when you go to take the rail of again.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They only go into the bolt hole right...cause if that's the case, then that's a damn good idea.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hawaiifiveoh said:
They only go into the bolt hole right...cause if that's the case, then that's a damn good idea.

Yes, they keep you from over tightening the fuel rail and/or cracking the rail or breaking an injector.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
LoL.. That has to be one of the dumbest Ideas on the 4g63, I think everyone on here who's ever takin there fuel rail off has ran into this problem. Luckily I was able to pull it back out with a grabber tool and light but like french suggested nappa if your strapped for time.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I put the one that I found on the middle and tightened that down pretty snug, then tightened down the other two JUST BARELY, and am awaiting the other two from na94eclipse.

Hm, I might just go to Napa, na94 was gonna send them fo free :)tree:) but if he hasn't sent them already, I'll save him the trip/postage.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
yeahitsaturbo said:
Little tip for when you put them on is to RTV them so they will grab the head and stay there. It will also keep them from falling off in the future when you go to take the rail of again.
MF +1. I used RTV on them when I installed my 650's.

Luckily someone placed RTV on the spacers previously and they didn't fall into the abyss when I took the rail off.

·
Registered
716 Posts
hawaiifiveoh said:
I put the one that I found on the middle and tightened that down pretty snug, then tightened down the other two JUST BARELY, and am awaiting the other two from na94eclipse.

Hm, I might just go to Napa, na94 was gonna send them fo free :)tree:) but if he hasn't sent them already, I'll save him the trip/postage.
I haven't yet, planned to tommorow since I am getting paid later tonight and really didn't have the $5 or whatever on me at the time. Let me know...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts