DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody offered me a 3" mandrel bent under-axle Tanabe Super Racing Medallion cat-back for my front wheel drive.

Since I have been looking for an exhaust for a while now, I wanted to ask how good of an idea it would be running an under-axle setup? He said he had it on his '94 Eclipse GS.

I tried searching this up, but didn't come up with anything too useful, hence why I am asking here.

I just wanted to know if I would have any clearance problems when the car is on the ground, and if not, then when I lift it up on a hoist and the axle drops down a few inches. I will post some pics once I upload the latest version of Flash player for Linux.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
na94eclipse said:
I say if it is a good deal run it and find out. I doubt if you are going to find someone with your same car and setup with the same under axle system...
I am just wondering is it's a good deal in general. Tanabe is a good company, and I really want something. I have just heard of many horror stories with running under-axles on front wheel drives.

Setup wise, my car is bone stock. And he is asking $180 for the full system :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
2LiterRiceEater said:
I am just wondering is it's a good deal in general. Tanabe is a good company, and I really want something. I have just heard of many horror stories with running under-axles on front wheel drives.

Setup wise, my car is bone stock. And he is asking $180 for the full system :)
Is it local? If so flash him $150 cash and take it away. :D If not or if you cant get him down I would still get it. Its a full 3" so its worth something. Like already stated you could just resell it if nothing else.
:dunno:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My exhaust runs under my axle on my FWD. I have never once had a problem with it and my car is lowered almost 2 inches. The only downside is when you lift your car on a hoist and your axle tries to come down but it can't cause it will hit your exhaust. Your rubber hangers will stretch but they should still hold up as mine do. I'd say go for it! I can post pics if you want me to also.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4g63tcrazy said:
My exhaust runs under my axle on my FWD. I have never once had a problem with it and my car is lowered almost 2 inches. The only downside is when you lift your car on a hoist and your axle tries to come down but it can't cause it will hit your exhaust. Your rubber hangers will stretch but they should still hold up as mine do. I'd say go for it! I can post pics if you want me to also.
Yeah man, that would help me a bit :) Thanks.

To everybody else, thanks, I probably will go pick it up. It's actually not so local, about250-300 KM away; I live down south-west, he lives up north. We are going to meet up 1/2 way in Toronto, we are still trying to schedule when.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I made one a while back but it irritated me when I had to put it on the lift. Same reasons as posted above. Eventually I made one to go over the axle. Im much happier having it as one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Like I said your hangers should be able to hold it up. They will stretch quite a bit but mine is fine. I forgot to take pics today so I'll post some up tomorrow, unless I forget again..

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
That's a 2g exhaust.

O2 after the cat. You actually have the middle section upside down in that photo. No way he had that on anything other than a 2g as it'd run smack into the fuel tank on a 1g fwd.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mavisky said:
That's a 2g exhaust.

O2 after the cat. You actually have the middle section upside down in that photo. No way he had that on anything other than a 2g as it'd run smack into the fuel tank on a 1g fwd.
Thanks man, I was questioning myself about the O2 as well.

Well since that's out of the way, I can look for another.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.