DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
hanging the tail out and spining the rear tires while you fly down a street sideways may just be some of the most fun you can have. Ultimately, I would like rear wheel drive.
sure, AWD may be the best off the line, and sure, FWD may have some advantages ( my car is FWD). In terms of traction FWD is the clear loser for a simple setup. Flooring my car in 1st or 2nd gear results in more wheel spining than acceleration which is bad (yet impressive to anyone who doesnt know too much about cars).
oh well. just my .02

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
AWD may be a tad boring, but *IMO* it gets the job done the most efficiently. Personally I don't like torque steer. And I agree with the above post as to, "hanging the tail out and spinning the rear tires while flying down a street sideways, as the most fun. Having done this many times in my previous life with my '69 Nova SS.
FWIW - SCC did a "test" on this in Sept.'s issue. Scott Gray's Eclipse GSX smoked the field overall.
BTW - this subject has been tackled before in the lounge.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

[This message has been edited by Van (edited October 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Getting used to torque steer isn't that hard, actually I think I would miss it terribly if I didn't have it. :)

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
i dont know about you guys but i can hang the tail out on my awd. true it can get a little hairy but that just makes it that much more fun.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Too bad the awd wheel drives cant hang after 3rd gear...But they are fast.. Just not enough for my FWD "GO FAST OR GO HOME"
kid-tsi

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kid-tsi:
Too bad the awd wheel drives cant hang after 3rd gear...But they are fast.. Just not enough for my FWD "GO FAST OR GO HOME"
kid-tsi
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe.....mod for mod the awd will have 3-4 car lenghts on you when you hit 3rd gear and stop spinning so unless you are racing for 2 miles you'll never catch him. when you are in this situation you can check out the rear diff and also wonder why the awd exhaust doesn't do that crazy bend up over the axle like your fwd.... :D :D :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
418 Posts
yea... the awd have many advantages..
but the fwd are just as fast...
Yes they pull me pretty hard off the line line but as soon as i hit 3rd and max boost
i will catch up...have'nt lost in the long run..yet..But the awd's are not Superior
over fwd's...
they both are fast 4cyl..and the muscle driven v8's never know what they just lost to :) Right.?.?
Oh yea..how's the back bumper look'in? :)
Kid-tsi
*Fast 4-banger*

[This message has been edited by kid-tsi (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
871 Posts
like i said...identical cars with identical mods...one a fwd and one a awd...the fwd will lose...period. you'll eventually catch the awd(due to the gearing) but you'll be in another state by then. don't the fwd cars have a speed limiter??

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
701 Posts
Hmmm, why does this all sound so familiar? Ohhhh, that's right, there was just this big thing awd vs fwd, that went on forever. Do we really need to do it again?
:)
-Dave
-91 GST AT (AWD and manual trannies suck :) just kidding)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ok I have to get in on this. I have had both a FWD dsm and an AWD. Coming from someone that has had both I must tell everyone that I love my AWD alot more than my FWD. it is true that in the long run the FWD will catch the AWD, we are talking top of 4th gear here guys. I have raced plenty of FWD in my AWD and no one can catch me on the 1/4. and on the high way I win until 5th.

it all depends on what you want the car for. If you are building an all out RACE ONLY CAR than a FWD is the way to go. You have less Weight and less drive line to worry about breaking. Good example is Wright Touch Automotive. They are running a 90 FWD that has just run a [email protected] With a good set of Slicks FWD's are the ****. If you want a bad ass street racer than AWD is the bomb, no one will catch an AWD in a street race. Most street races are over by the top of 3rd. If you want a bad ass high way killer than FWD is the way to go. Less weight higher gears, and I doubt anyone here spins the tires when they hit it in 4th from a roll.

Richard

Loving everyday in his 95 AWD at [email protected] with a small 16g =)

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah, AWD rules, my car is still slow, heard all this before. I have no hope of ever running any decent quarter mile times, and my 60 foot times suck. Should have stuck with my Civic, then I had a good excuse for losing every day.

------------------
John Lewis

1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts