DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tryin to find out how many other FWD'ers are tryin to make BIG power.And have bigger turbo's than a 20g. And what's your setup? Or setup you tryin to run in 2003.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll be running a turbo bigger than a 20G probably around spring 2003. I'm currently building the engine, both the bottom end and the head. I should have the motor broken in after the winter and be ready to install my setup by spring. I'll be running a T-series sized turbo.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tha's cool I was just wondering bc I know some FWD'ers are trying to make big power too. Bc I'm running a 60 trim t04e hybrid. And I know I'm not the only one. Most ppl on want to put a huge turbo on a awd not fwd

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I have a hybrid Holset turbo on the shelf here (seems the shelf has all the good parts lately, oh well). Specs are secret until it's on the car.. but I'll tell ya it's a "rather large unit."

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
i've got a friend on a 60-1 and another friend who just inherited a shitload and is going with an 0 trim and a fully built racecar.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My friend has a Fp Green on his 95 GST...He's currently building the engine...Wisco pistins,Eagle rods,SS valves/retainers,HKS cams,ect.....You get the idea..he's shooting for 500hp which will be easy with this turbo....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm shootin for something close to that range after i decide on a few more things to do with my setup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
are we going to get traction? I hear you can break the tires loose on the highway going like 70 mph with big ass turbos. I have a fully built motor im about ready to strart breakin in any day now. I wanna go with either a big ass t3/t4 set up, a FP red, or the L3R from agp. IMO i think a bigger turbo is better so you don't have instant power. That little lag might help ya get going wit out spin. Im also going for over 500 hp.

what do u guys think?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I'm running a green, VPC, race head, fmic, the usual stuff.......

And in cold weather the car will spin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, on bfg drag radials just from a roll. On a big turbo the sheer power will spin the tires no matter how it spools.

Peter

·
Registered
143 Posts
What's the limit?

There's been a lot of talk about traction in FWDs lately, and we can't dispute it. The AWD guys will always be better in that respect. The question is: At what point are we FWD people just wasting money on power that can't be realized due to traction. In other words, what is the most HP that a FWD can effectively put to the ground (assume a Quaife or other LSD)?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm running a phanton grip LSD and DR and that's going to help me out with traction. But if that don't help I'll turn the boost down and just run crazy boost at the track but with slicks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was thinkin slicks at the track with a dual stage boost controller would do the trick along with the usuall goodies. Im not lookin to get crazy timeslips with this car anymore really. I want it to be a street beast and win shows at the same time. Plus I don't wanna replace trannys and clutches every other month. I do want to hit 11's though.probly not with a body kit.

Just thought i'd throw this out there. Would using bigger wheels like 18's help stop wheel spin? Just thought maybee, but have to sacrafice the top end maybee????

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run a dsmotorsports Turbonetics T3/T4 Stage 3 50 Trim (standard bearing) I find the boost to be just right. First gear has a slight bit of lag, but enough still to spin the wheels in first. Each other gear the power is excellent. The wheelspin is manageable with 17's on, but i'm still getting the bm-tranny lsd.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think with an LSD and right suspension setup FWD's can handle high HP levels. I'm installing an L2R in my FWD 99 GST soon with all the goodies. I know someone on this board (forgot his name) that runs an 11.8 on a FWD with the L2R. If you ask me, that's pretty damn good, FWD or not.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I run a FP Green (soon to be FP3055 when comes out), with FP intake pipe (thing is HUGE I can fit my whole fist in it), 550s, AFC, AVCR, and Apex'i intercooler.

With the AVCR I can control boost in every gear and have noticed a HUGE improvement in the traction department.

·
Registered
507 Posts
i plan on getting a big turbo, somewhere in the fields of an FP green or AGP L2R.. my goals is only to have a 12 sec setup. traction will be hard, but damn we could probably beat A LOT of cars on the top end.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I have made 285 wHP to the wheels and it only spinned first gear

I would say there is plenty more to go before traction become an issue, like around 350-400wHP.

I can also turn down the boost on the gears that I spin with the AVC-R.. pretty easy, just say reduce duty for that gear and you get less boost in that gear.

this was with quaife LSD.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,499 Posts
I'm building a 6 bolt block for an FP3055 (waiting for FP to finish it before I make my final decision), RED or AGP L3R with a Phantom Grip and an AEM standalone. The right suspension, LSD, and driver technique make all the difference. The vast majority of people who tell you a high HP FWD isn't easily streetable all own AWD and RWD cars, and generally have no idea how to properly drive a truly powerful FWD. Nobody bothers to master the car,
and that's where a lot of the FWD BS comes in. If I went out, and drove a 600+ WHP RWD car for the first time in the rain, with no experience, I wouldn't blame the car for my lack of experience.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts