DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 VR4 with 167,000 miles on the clock. I am undecided if I should rebuild or sell. Anyone have any costs for complete motor rebuilds and/or chassis too? BTW another 50hp would be ok too. I don't want to much more power to keep some reliablity and mileage for daily driving. Anyone drive a 2.5RS Subaru compared to above car in power?

TIA Icerdav

------------------
sideways and smiling

·
Registered
729 Posts
Why do you want to rebuild? If you have bad compression than it might be a good idea. If your compression is alright you should be fine as long as you keep up with all the other basic maintenance, like changing your timing belt and all that goes with it.
Is it burning oil or doing anything that would make you think that its not running strong?
These engines are built extremely well and if you take care of them they will go for a long time.
To rebuild your shortblock and head back to stock should cost around $2000 depending on where you go. Obviously some places will charge more than others.
I'd put that money somewhere more fun if it were mine. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea if ya let jim do it it might never get done :)

Ron S.

[This message has been edited by ForceFED (edited August 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
701 Posts
I say keep the VR4 and if it needs a rebuild then do it. You have rare car, so keep it. And, the 2.5RS sucks. Ive never driven a VR4, but there supposed to be as fast as a GSX. I test drove a 2.5RS, and it was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. They have something like 95hp at the wheels. OOOOOHHHHH,powerful. Dont get a 2.5rs.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yah I own a 2.5RS well that is I have one in the US sitting in storage. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't. The clutch shudder, craptastic factory paint job, no folding rear seat, parts prices are way too high, not much to do in the way of upgrades short of a $7K new ECu and a turbo which will void your warranty and rip your tranny apart. If you want the nest return for your dollar then get the VR4 engine rebuilt later on when it needs it. Anything that was factory turbo'd, decently fast and easy to find parts for is way better then the limited Subaru. The WRX is a big name car but the 2.5RS isn't and the US is only getting a watered down WRX anyways. Wait until you see what some dealerships do to keep you from modifying your car. Security tape, foil covered bolts, parts tracking and about anything else they can do that they already do here in Japan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts