DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find info on the Garrett T3/T4 turbos? Specifically, what compressor/turbine wheels work the best on a DSM? Also, are the T3/T4's ball bearing turbos? Finally, has anyone ever compared the performance of a T3/T4 to a Frank turbo of comparable size (a Frank 2/3 I believe)?

I've heard the not only are the T3/T4 turbos built better but also have quicket spool, less lag, and blow cooler air.

Thanks,
Marlin Liew

------------------

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you know what size compressor/turbine wheels he is running? Also, how much air does that particular turbo flow?

Marlin

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Franks try to be Garretts, they use Garrett wheels in 20G compressor housings and a mitsu turbine. For example, the Frank 3 uses a Garret 54 Trim compressor wheel. You can get the ball-bearing option on Garretts, but it is fairly expensive. About $500 for the BB option, which almost doubles the cost of the turbo, since a T3/T4 Garrett only costs about $700-$800. Buschur calls their Garrett a BR57, so I assume it has a 57 trim compressor wheel. The Frank 4 & 5 use an even larger 60 trim wheel wheel. I have a Garrett T3/T4 with a 54 trim compressor wheel in a .60 A/R housing and a .63 turbine housing with a stage 2 wheel. It is a bit laggy, I might be better off with a smaller .48 turbine housing for spoolup. I don't have a good times yet though, my clutch was going(gone now) when I went to the track with it. It does haul ass though, even on pump gas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm running BR T3\T4.... Its Big! And it flows alot! I was told it Flows close to 900 cfm and will make over 600hp. It has a 82AR but it spools good. I make 20psi of boost at 4k rpms. The turbo is made by a company called Precision Turbo and Engine. They do alot of grand national stuff.They have a website. I've only ran a best time 12.70 at 110mph but that was with pump gas and a very poorly tuned car and that crappy 2g head.I think I'll get a high 11 before the year is over. BTW the inlet or my T3\T4 is 3in and the wheel is 2 3\4" If I remember right maybe a little bigger my friend has a Frank3 and the inlet is 3in but the wheel is 2 1\4 I think...But remember it cost more to run the Garrett...You got to get a manifold,02 housing and oil-water lines.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
If you're looking for a T3/T4 turbo, you can get anything from a 46-60 trim with Stage II or Stage III turbine wheels, .43 or .63 A/R housings, 360 degree thrust bearings, etc., etc., for $780 through Forced Performance. I have been doing business with them myself (for my GVR4 and Mirage) for the last Feburary. Robert Young took over the business after Jeff Carpenter passed away (they were close friends, it was nice to see someone keep the "Forced Performance" name going), and I've been happy with every transaction/part I've had with them. They're the only place that I will refer my customer's to when asking for turbo related parts. If you have any questions, Robert is never too busy to take time and help you to the best of his ability. However, he does seem to be a little slow at returning e-mails as he runs with limited staff (to protect quality control?). Give him a call and have him answer your questions directly. The phone # is 512-376-5769, or for a general run-down on FP check out the website at www.forcedperformance.com I just recently had him upgrade my T3/T4 to a T04E twin-scroll. I was kinda hesistant when he told me that it would have better top end than my T3/T4 and not sacrifice spooling properties, however, I'm now in love with this setup. It does in fact spool as quickly (possibly even quicker than my T3/T4) and pulls harder at 15 psi than the T3/T4 setup did at 23-24 psi. I can't wait to get the remaining bugs worked out to get this thing to the track for some full-on passes!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So all the turbos from Precision turbo are T3/T4's and should bolt up to a DSM using a T3/T4 manifold right? I wasn't aware that I would also need a new O2 housing to bolt on the Garrett. Would I be able to use a standard 16G install kit for the water/oil lines to the turbo or is it necessary to fabricate custom lines to make it work?

So, just for clarification, this is what I would need to run a T3/T4:

T3/T4 Exhaust Manifold
New O2 Housing
3" DP
External Wastegate
Fuel Pump, injectors, S-AFC

Anything else that I forgot?

Marlin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you ever considered XS Engineering's "16G Killer" kit? It uses an IHI Ball-Bearing turbo, spools unbelievably fast, and shows some impressive dyno numbers. Turbo magazine had an article on it a while back. I can get the kit for under a grand.

------------------
97 Talon TSi FWD/93 Probe GT

VTEC what?

·
Registered
83 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phacade GSX:
So all the turbos from Precision turbo are T3/T4's and should bolt up to a DSM using a T3/T4 manifold right? I wasn't aware that I would also need a new O2 housing to bolt on the Garrett. Would I be able to use a standard 16G install kit for the water/oil lines to the turbo or is it necessary to fabricate custom lines to make it work?

So, just for clarification, this is what I would need to run a T3/T4:

T3/T4 Exhaust Manifold
New O2 Housing
3" DP
External Wastegate
Fuel Pump, injectors, S-AFC

Anything else that I forgot?

Marlin

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To the best of my knowledge ALL Garret turbos do not use water lines. So only oil lines would be neccesary for that install. Due to the size adn shape of the t3/t4 ex. mani you'll probably need to buy new slimmer fans also. You'll essentially need all of the support mods for a 20g to run this set-up properly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can get them watercooled or not. Its up to you. Much easier install with a dry housing. And you need a smaller fan or running IC pipe sucks. But you can run it with a stock fan. Just got to cut the stock fan alittle.Worked for me.I'll be a Atco tommorrow trying to better my time.
Ryan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts