DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i am about to buy a 97 gs as a daily driver and i was wonder what grade gas everyone is using. let keep in mind its a DD i dont want it to be faster or ne thing. i jus figured it took reg 87, but when i test drove it right on the gas gauge it says to use like 91 soo thanks for any comments

·
Registered
71 Posts
89 or 93 unless they offer 91 where you live... here in FL you barely see 91. My girlfriend runs 89 on her RS which is the same as a GS except for trim and options but both carry same engine, fuel system, etc.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
you do not need 93 in a GS.... just look in the owners manual, it will tell ya.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually the older the car and however many miles is on it determines what gas you should run to a certain extent. If the owners manual tells you to run 5w30 and you have 200,000 miles on the car would you do it? No, you would probably run 10w30 synthetic oil. You don't go by what the owners manual tells you. Thats just plain dumb. Does it tell you to use syncromesh transmission fluid on your manual transmission... NO. If you run piss 87 gas in your car because the manual tells you then your just plain dumb. I run 93 in my GS with over 200,000 miles on the engine, with Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic oil and syncromesh in my transmission... no oil, fluid, gas leaks what so ever. Do you think that the owners manual tells me to do so? No, if I listen to the owners manual I would have had to get a rebuilt on my motor by now. The older the car, the higher the octane. Unless you like knock and want you engine to be toast. Simple... run mid grade "89"... as time goes by and engine starts to wear down... move up in the grade of gas. Don't use 87... if I try to do that to my GS it will start to run horribly... past experience when I was short on cash I did this and that was the result.

·
Registered
220 Posts
87 octane will be fine no matter the mileage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats great, run piss gas 87. 87 is crap, especially with gas prices... who knows what they put in that cheap low grade gas. Burns quicker then 89... my girlfriend was running 87 on her 99 Eclipse RS with 67,000 miles on it and it ran alright. I finally convinced her to run 89 and the car runs a lot better and performs better... much smoother idle as well. She all gets better mpg with 89 compare to 87. I'll ask a ASE certified mechanic tomorrow to see what he says about 87, 89, 91, 93 gasoline. I'm sure he knows more then just some avg. Joe saying you can run 87 because that what he/she runs. Plus he builds street/drag cars so I'm sure he knows better. I'm just stating my opinions from experience. I've owned 4 dsm's and 1 mirage... they all performed better and got more mpg with 89-up compare to 87. Which I've heard contains a fair amount of water which just ends up sitting at the bottom of your tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I hate to say this, but I agree with Mr. White here...I have found the same with numerous 4-bangers..Older they get for some reason they run smoother on higher octane....Besides Mr. White being abit outspoken and somewhat harsh, he is somewhat accurate at the same time....

My 95 RS w\ 115,000 miles ran like pooopie-doooo on 89...I use 93 and it runs a whole heck of a lot smoother....

I noticed the same with a Carolla that I had....

I think part of it is they are starting to fill the lower half of the gas pump resavoirs with water...That's a whole separate topic though....

Try each and see what ya think....Each cars different....

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yup. I agree with above. I don't know about that water stuff but, I put v-power in my dd n/a every once in a while and it idles a whole lot smoother. It's a 92, and where I live the best burning gas is from shell or exxon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Never knew that much about gas myself. I have a 2gnt ('99 GS with 56k on it)... I've been running 87 gas (goes over to that reading the damn manual thing)... maybe i'll try to the 89 or 91 (whichever they have) next time I need gas (yes, I run it to almost empty)...start fresh and see what the difference is.

For the cost difference (appx .20 per gallon where i live) between the 87 and 93 is it going to be that much better? I also drive in a lot of bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts