DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the EVO III engine. And I'm just wondering if its worth getting the ECU that comes with it. Opinions anyone? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I'd think so.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
you need the ECU for it to work from what I understand. Otherwise the fuel curve will be way off. You might could get by if you have an AFC, but may still have problems with the coil packs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told by someone that the ECU may not work, because the octant rating in japan is 98 and the highest here is 93. So it may throw it off a bit. But he wasn't really too sure either. Does anyone else know anything about it? Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Um...I think you would not want the Japanese ECU in an American car, but if you can get it, it may be fun to mess around with. You're probably just better off using a DSM ECU and using a S-AFC to control the larger injectors. (I think they are 510's)

JDM ECU are meant to run on 98+ octane fuel, and if you can only put 92 or so in it, it would be like putting 87 regular in your DSM. I would think it would make fine tuning more difficult than it already is, since the timing will stay pulled way back. Its probably better to accept less HP and use an ECU that's designed to run properly on 92 or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
octane rating for ecu

Gasoline pumps typically post octane numbers as an average of two different values. Often you may see the octane rating quoted as (R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94.

You need to know what test method is used in Japan, not all countries use the same test method as the U.S. (R+M/2). Play a little blues clues on the internet and find out what method Japan uses.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
What rallsport said is true. I think they use a different system over there. I say you need the ECU. There is a shop that specializes in 1G in a 2G conversions, and I am sure they can tell you. Or call a few places that import engines and ask them. Where'd you get the EVO engine from?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this new shop that knows some people over in Japan. So I got it from them. I posted something up on the boards. Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
In terms of money and time/difficulty it may just be easier to go with a 6bolt here in the states.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up the EVO III engine cheaper then the regular JDM cyclone engines. Jeff Hill will be swapping it in, and he is already familiar with JDM engines.

The EVO III already has a big 16g and 510 injectors, along with some other things. I was lucky enough to find one and picked it up. RRE said there was a 5% chance of getting these.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you want to use the EVO III ECU, your going to need the wiring harness to the ECU as well. It is not the same as our DSMs. We've been toying around with the Idea of using/ copying the chip out of the one we have though. I'll let everyone know if it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts