DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 92 talon tsi with a couple bent valves, and had it fixed. I had the head ported, new valves and valve stem seals installed, and put on a ported 2g exhaust manifold because my original one was cracked. I had someone else put the head back on for me, because i don't know how to do cam timing and valve adjustments and such. I also had them replace the timing belts and all the tensioners. I've got the car running but it's bucket ass slow. When i finally put in my boost gauge i realized that i'm barely pulling any boost, if any at all. If i go to WOT in first i usually see between 0-2 psi. The very most i've seen was 5psi at the top of second gear. I've already pressurized the intake and found and fixed one leak, but that didn't fix it. I tried another wastegate actuator, no luck. I tried using an aftermarket boost controller and bypassing the stock setup, but that didn't work either. I also used someone elses stock boost controller and hooked that back up, to no avail. I took the intake hose off of my turbo and i don't seem to have any shaft wobble and the turbo spins freely. I also took the hose off of my blowoff valve, and it seemed to pass a bit of air during idle, but i've been told this is normal, and it passed less under throttle, granted this was while the car was in neutral in my garage, i didn't drive it like that. I'm running out of ideas here, and i could use some suggestions, cause it's no fun having a turbo car without the boost. The best thing that i've heard but not tried yet is that i could have possibly damaged my turbine wheel somehow with excessive heat. I did notice that my cracked stock manifold had a chunk out of it, and i suppose it could have possibly gone through the turbo. Sorry to make this so long, but if the turbo is my problem what rebuilding options do i have? Where can i get a turbine wheel, and can i replace the bushings? Will other turbine wheels fit in there and work better? thanks for listening and for any suggestions you can offer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Maybe it's not the turbo. Perhaps the guy that did your t-belt and vlave timing has it off a tooth or 2?

What's idle vac at? should be around 19in.hg and steady, if not, it could be a cam timing problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm only pulling about 12in of vac at idle, which is what originally led me to believe there was an air leak in the intake somewhere. I did a compression test and the #1 cyllinder is a little low, but i didn't think it'd throw things off that far. What is the easiest way to check my cam timing? by lining up the gears? As i said i'm not familiar with those things, but i wouldn't put it past that mechanic to have messed it up either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same problem as mine

Your no boost problem seems so much like the problem I am having...expect mine makes a very anoying wisling..metallic sound after I try to boost.....I really think its the turbo thats dead....am getting a replacement soon.....I will let you know....but let me know if you found the problem...

Denny
1990 eagle talon tsi fwd
*turboless sucks....*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts