DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the function of the tube that comes from the throttle body going right into the Greddy BOV? I'm trying to figure out why my BOV is not as loud as the others. I'm concerned that it may be leaking. The car runs and pulls really strong but when it comes to blow it off, it sounds weak. I hear the K&N more than the BOV itself. Thanks for the help..

P.S. Whats the lower nipple for? I heard it should be tee'd off to something else but where?

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited September 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
96 Posts
The tube from the throttle body is there to enable the BOV to function. When tyhe throttle plate shuts, the plenum vaccumizes which in turn allows the BOV to open and release the high pressure from the intercooler piping.

The lower nipple provides an opposing pressure to the internal valve to maintain seal better. It is normally used when you've hooked up an external wastegate.

Your noise level is influenced by whether you you redirect the BOV air back into the turbo intake tract or not. Blowing to atmosphere is very loud versus the muffled sound when you send it back down the dump tube. Also, the bolt on top of the BOV can be used to tighten the preload on the valve spring. The tighter the bolt, the later the BOV will exhale but when it does the louder it gets. Note, this is also normally accompanying by surging at part throttle boost.

------------------
Cya O!
SPOOLIN!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gstagno/index.htm

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the Type-S...I've heard the boost nipple was optional to connect as connecting it would simply make the valve open more quickly. I found that I got significant amounts of compressor surge with my 16G when the boost nipple was left unconnected. When I connected it, the surge was completly eliminated. If you want to do it right, I'd leave the BOV venting back into the intake...I'd also set the spring to full soft. It won't be quite as loud but it will be easier on the turbo. At full soft, the Type-S still holds more boost than a 1G BOV.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm running the Greddy BOV too. I currently have the lower nipple left unconnected. I've heard of a few people adding a nipple to the lower IC pipe and plumbing into it. I have not tried that yet, but they say it makes the BOV alot smoother operating. Anyone else have their lower nipple connected?

·
Registered
39 Posts
How loud is the compressor surge when you hear it? It is a fast, "puh, puh, puh" sound? I have my Type-S set at about halfway as suggested by RoadRace's website but today, I noticed when I turboed hard from a stop light and abrubtly left of the gas, I heard a kinda quick, "puh, puh, puh", but it wasn't really all that loud.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The compressor surge is not that much louder than the normal BOV sound, just sounds totally different. I have it set on medium also, and with low boost (5psi) you can hear the compressor surge. I tried setting it softer but the screw on top of the BOV would hit one of the crossmembers on the hood. Anyone have this problem???

also the softest setting really took some low end power and even stalled the car once.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mospeed! I thought I was the only one that felt the loss of low end power. Although mine never stalled. My friend had his on the really soft setting and I did notice that it rubbed the hood support. I never had it that soft so it never rubbed. I played around with the setting and finally found the ideal spot. The only time I notice it surge is when I'm going into 4 gear on a steep hill (not full throttle, just driving normal). Other than that when driving normally, I hear blow off more and at times even hear almost like a "whistle". I hear the whistle more when I change gears at about 5psi. After that, it blows off like its suppose to.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
270 Posts
Those of you having problems with the adjusting screw hitting the hood. It looks like you're both using Greddy IC piping. I just ordered a Road//Race piece with the Type-S flange and will be putting my Type-S on my new 2G. We'll see if I have the same issue. I didn't have that problem on my 1G since the BOV is upside down attached to the underside of the upper IC pipe. I suppose if all you wanted was full soft, you could pull the screw out completly and seal the hole at the top with a plug of some type.

<<I have my Type-S set at about halfway as suggested by RoadRace's website but today, I noticed when I turboed hard from a stop light and abrubtly left of the gas, I heard a kinda quick, "puh, puh, puh", but it wasn't really all that loud.>>

Yep, that's compressor surge all right. Again, I suggest adjusting that BOV to full soft. I looked up the opening vacuum of the 1G BOV in the shop manual and tested one with a vacuum gauge I have (BTW: The 1G BOV holds about 17psi before it starts leaking). I then tested the Type-S I have at full soft (screw all the way out). The Type-S consistently needed more vacuum to start opening than the 1G BOV. I think also because of the boost connection, it has the effect of holding the valve closed during boost situations. I wouldn't be suprised to see a Type-S easily hold 20+ psi without leaking when adjusted to full soft.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

[This message has been edited by Genius (edited October 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey guys! School sucks. Anyways I just installed a MBC (Joe P) and my Greddy TypeS with Road/Race pipe is a lot quieter after the MBC install... What gives??? It's a lot quieter and I have to rev it more to get it to be louder. Could it be that I used a nipple to plug the hole comiong from the BCS when I installed the MBC? And now there is less echo for the BOV and it's quieter??? I liked it before... but I need the MBC. Later

·
Registered
482 Posts
I meant the hole going into the air intake on the side... a vacuum hose use to come from there from the BCS... thanx!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey..im new here...but anyways...i was plannin on gettin a greddy type s but after i read this im gettin a lil paranoid about it...the things sounds a lil complicated. I had my heart set on a apexi twin chamber(cuz i get all apexi parts for cost price) but im pretty sure it vents off to the atmosphere so that changed my mind. So can anyone recommend a good bov that doesnt vent to the atmosphere? sorry about the rammbling but i got alot of questions about modifying my dsm..thanx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts