DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mostly seen this turbo used on supra tt's but i've also seen it occasionally used on the nissan silvia sr20det engines.

The s20det's are the same as our 4g63's: 2.0L 4 cyl turbo...

So how come nobody uses sucha big turbo on the dsm's? Or is it because there are too many fabrications that need to be done as suppose to just slapping on a bolt on turbo?

Which bolt on turbo is equivelant to the t-88? Fp red? Agp L3r? HRC super 25g? Those are the largest turbos i can think of that are bolt ons for dsms.

I'm just curious, cuz the t88 is MASSIVE, i was wondering why nissan silvias can use that turbo but not dsms. The sr20det motors have achieved up to 800hp, but highest i've heard of on a 4g63 is a little over 600hp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My friend has the T-67 (the T67 is a 25G) Greddy turbo kit on his stroked 3S Celica, it builds full boost around 4200 on a 2.2 litre. Then there's the T78, which is a good single upgrade for Supra's, which would accomplish full boost around 5500 on a 2 litre 4 cylinder. Then the next step is the T88, see the pattern? It would be a DRAG only turbo. This is the same turbo that Stephen Papadakis uses on his drag Civic. That is why you don't see it on any 4G's in this country. It's 2 steps larger than a 25G.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Blitz E-Klipz said:
The sr20det motors have achieved up to 800hp, but highest i've heard of on a 4g63 is a little over 600hp.
David Buschur made close to 1200hp on the dyno during the shootout.

You could use any turbo you want to. The question is, is it right for my

application?(what's your application/goals?)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Re: Re: Greddy t-88 34d on a 4 cyl engine?

Dyesin said:
I don't believe that.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Dyesin said:

WHAT! Did you actually see this or is it becoming one of those "rumours" that expand themselves as they get passed around.

If he DID put down 1200hp to the wheels, even with juice I'd be very very surprised.

Also, the SR20's are doing well over 700whp without juice. VERY impressive.

I think one of the reasons the SR20 gets away with such a big turbo is with the valvetrain upgraded they are spinning them to 10,000-10,500rpm like the Hondas. Also JUN's Hyper Lemon Silvia is a 2.2 liter stroker. BUT I have seen the turbo run on the standard 2.0 SR20 as well. There is a guy in Australia making almost 750whp with NO JUICE in a street Silvia that is still 2.0 liters! :eek:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha i was about to say.... even saad saad at the supra shootout only managed about 1100hp

:rolleyes:

The newer sr20det's in japan have variable valve timing, but i don't know if it actually makes spoolup faster.

I'm not saying that i'm going to do this, but i'm just curious as to why the t88 could be used on the nissan motor but is never used on the mitsu motor. Because it seems like the older gen mr2's 4 cylinder engines could use the t-88 too.... weirdd

O yea, how come sr20det's could use like 3" intercooler pipings with 4" exhaust pipings, but 4g63's are limited to 2.5" ic pipings and 3" exhaust systems? It seems like the grass is greener on the other side....way greener. :tree:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Greddy t-88 34d on a 4 cyl engine?

JayHäss said:
I think one of the reasons the SR20 gets away with such a big turbo is with the valvetrain upgraded they are spinning them to 10,000-10,500rpm like the Hondas.
With the same amount of work on a 4G63 head (and a balanced bottom end minus balance shafts) you can spin it to 10k RPM as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Blitz E-Klipz said:
haha i was about to say.... even saad saad at the supra shootout only managed about 1100hp

The newer sr20det's in japan have variable valve timing, but i don't know if it actually makes spoolup faster.

I'm not saying that i'm going to do this, but i'm just curious as to why the t88 could be used on the nissan motor but is never used on the mitsu motor. Because it seems like the older gen mr2's 4 cylinder engines could use the t-88 too.... weirdd

O yea, how come sr20det's could use like 3" intercooler pipings with 4" exhaust pipings, but 4g63's are limited to 2.5" ic pipings and 3" exhaust systems? It seems like the grass is greener on the other side....way greener. :tree:
ya there was a quote on all this jazz a lil bit back. I mean the 4G63 is a great motor btu the sr20 is jus better, not that the 4g63 cant do incredible things, its jus u know...

·
Honorary Administrator
17,452 Posts

This rumor has started because of a mistake by the announcer at Norwalk. I heard him say the 1200hp number but he was quoting the wrong number.

Moving to the Gen Tech.

Dyesin said:

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you have an engine that can handle over 30 PSI and you love spooling at 6000 RPMs then definately get a T88.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seriously guys, the only reason why there isn't a T88 kit for the 4g63 is that it seems that Greddy doesn't like Mitsubishi products. They make a multitude of kits for the SR (RWD) and the 3S, but really nothing for the 4g63, they just don't produce much. Yet they make kits for the other cars, so we can't use their products, so what... use a Mitsu turbo, or a Garrett, who cares? Seriously, it doesn't seem like anyone is lacking turbo options for a 4G, so why care?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Rogue_Ant said:
Can someone explain exactly why the SR20DET is a better engine the 4G63?
I just want some facts on why it is better.
There was a thread about this in the Lounge recently.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Greddy t-88 34d on a 4 cyl engine?

4G63Rydah said:

With the same amount of work on a 4G63 head (and a balanced bottom end minus balance shafts) you can spin it to 10k RPM as well.
Yea but then you can't shift. :D

What makes the SR a better motor overall? I really don't feel like typing it all out but there are many things that have to do with the fact the SR20 was built as a race motor first and ended up in passenger cars. It was originally concieved to dominate the BTCC which it did in spades.

Couple strong points over the 4g:

Aluminum block that is just as if not more strong than the cast iron 4g

Timing *chain*

Full main bearing girdle

bigger rods

spot faced rods

bigger main journals

bronze wrist pin inserts

sodium filled valves

canted intake ports that are on a 45* angle like a bike

more meat in the block deck between cylinders

etc etc

·
Registered
463 Posts
Gee I don't think I go "on and on" I just share my experience. ;)

I really like and respect all cars but I guess I've always been a Nissan freak at heart. Always will be I suppose. I've owned several classic z's, SE-R's, Maxima etc etc...but I'm also not blind to the "screw ups" they have made as well.

I really like my DSM'm glad I got it. I've always kinda wanted one. But like I said above, I'm not blind to the screw ups they have made with this car as well. The areas of mopar influence really turns me off, but other good areas overshadow that for me.

How did I end up with it? Well I got the car for $0.00 cash out of hand. I traded some website work and hosting for it. It was a mess when I got it but the deal was right and I needed cheap speed at the time. I sold my SE-R to put the 15 grand into a home deposit.

I guess I'll always have the GSX, but I wouldn't mind building a RB26 powered 240z or a nasty Silvia. :tree:

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Blitz E-Klipz said:

He put down 870whp if I am not mistaken. Maybe the 1100 would be the approx crank hp he'd have, but he did not put down 1100whp. By the way he's selling that car for 65000 too. Mmmmm....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts