DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good/Bad experiences? Lets hear them! I want to know just how many people out there really like/dislike them and why...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i love the sound, bov are all diff but i love them all. I prefer my type s just because of the color matches my engine components, purple.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a love hate relatioship with my Type-S

I like the way it looks and sounds (even venting back into the intake) and the fact that it has the tension adjustment on top for running higher boost (in the future).

I do not like how difficult it is to get hooked up and working properly. Having that lower nipple is helpful for high boost applications, but it really throws a monkey wrench in the hookup of the boost controller. I feel that the best place for the boost control pressure source connection is on the compressor housing (a bit better wastegate response than on the hose from the intake manifold) and having to dedicate that compressor housing connection to the lower nipple on the Type-S is aggrevating. The other thing that really made me mad about the Type-S is the construction. I have read many reports of diaphragms ripping pre-maturely and I myself stripped the threads on the purple annodized cap by tightening the lock nut too much. As many others have said, the placement sucks too. It sits too close to the fuse box such that it is hard to get in and out and even to take the cover to the fuse box off.

I'm happy with the BOV but in retrospect I wish I had spent my $400 on the Hahn Racercraft IC Pipes and a 1G BOV (which could have been crushed in the end to hold more boost). I would have saved almost $100 too. Having the Type-S does save me some aggrevation if I decide to purchase a GReddy FMIC in the future though. Oh well...no regrets :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've had absolutely zero problems with mine. Found the "sweet spot" on the adjustment for my boost amount within a week or two. I just leave the lower nipple undone, the top nipple just runs the BOV straight, NO T for boost controller. Maybe when I get an EBC or something, I'll fool around with the lower nipple.

The spring is a little stiff though, so you can't really just very slowly ease off the throttle when you push boost through. I can only imagine the Type R's spring...

Oh, and the placement besides the fuse box is not Greddy's fault, it's the IC pipe maker's fault. My RRE pipe with the Type S fits fine, although it doesn't line up right with the dump tube, so I'm forced to use DUCT TAPE for sealant. Mmm. Ghetto!

·
Registered
116 Posts
PokeyTheDSM said:

Oh, and the placement besides the fuse box is not Greddy's fault, it's the IC pipe maker's fault. My RRE pipe with the Type S fits fine, although it doesn't line up right with the dump tube, so I'm forced to use DUCT TAPE for sealant. Mmm. Ghetto!
Actually it is GReddy's fault since I'm using their intercooler pipes, but I guess you make a good point in that it's not a poor feature that's directly associated with the BOV. I should have mentioned that...sorry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts