DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have a problem but im not sure if its serious or not..

until i rev my car up to about 3000rpm it makes this vibrating noise that sounds like its coming from underneath the timing belt cover so i took it off and checked it out when the cover was off but it was still there. once i decrease the acceleration above 3000rpm it makes the noise again. this was all done when the car is in neautral the noise is loud and it blocks out the noise from the intake and sounds like sh*t kind of like its an automatic or something i just want to no how to fix it so my car sounds good like it does when its above 3000rpm if anybody has any advice or knows the solution to this problem i would appriciate your input thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
your problem is what I am having right now, its your water pump, at least I know mine is.. what happend to me was, my alternator went out, then I changed that, forgot to tightin the bottem bolt, and then the belts came loose which in turn frooze up my water pump, well I ended up breaking it loose, and it spun freely, so I lefted it alone, well after awhile I notice there weared noise coming from the same place, its the water pump..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I might have same problem, but it is hard to describe the noise though. The car was bought from states and shipped to Europe 4 yrs ago, since then I was restoring and putting it back together. Yesterday finally tried to start amd heard some loud metal grinding noise. It is hard to tell location where it comes from. I don't have water in cooling system yet so don't wan't to overheat the engine while checking the location, therefore I just tried few 30sec attempts. I have removed oil pan before to repaint it due to some rust buildups, the bottom of the engine was nice, no play on crank, the oil was fine. I did the timing belt replace and that is it. When I heard the mentioned noise I have removed all belts of accessories leaving only timing on. The noise is still there, but looks like it is coming from outside the engine. Does someone have some thoughts?

The video is here:
Eclipse noise.mp4

Edit 14SEP'2020: Looks like the problem is solved. After some idling time and clutch movement the noise started to disappear when clutch pedal is released. I suspect clutch disk or bearing failure.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts