DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the Ground Control Coil Overs? These Coil Overs use Eibach Springs (not sure which ones, but probably the prokit). The ad states that they can be used with stock or aftermarket shocks. Unfortunately,I will have to use stock shocks. I just dropped some serious $$$ on rims/tires, so I am kinda... Very Broke. The problem is that I have a Nasty wheel gap. I am not racing, so the springs are more for the "stance". How much of a difference would these coil overs have over some cheapy cheapy models (skunk2, V-Spec... $200-$250).

I have a 1997 Eclipse RS with 18" Momo Sport Rims, and Yokohama Parada 225/40 tires.

James

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I thought those were a waste of money. I purchased a set two years ago. On a full drop, which claims to be about 3 inches, didn't drop the car at all. The car was lower with my Eibach Sportlines uncut. The only nice part is that you are able to raise the car up when needed. Other than that, the ride isn't that great. A bit stiff, but when it gets bumpy, the car just keeps on bouncing and when you brake, it skids. So I say nay on the Ground Controls. With the other brands, Ground Controls I would trust more. My setup was on 18" with 235/40/18 with KYB AGX struts on a FWD Turbo.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I don't really like the way that the Ground Controls have the single collar with the locking nut. It is supposed to be easier, but I am kind of wary of the nut loosening up. Even though the double coller (as on most coil overs) may be more of a hassle, I think they would probably be more secure than the locking nut. Besides, how often are you really going to change the height of the springs? Anyone heard anything about the Vis Racing springs. For $250, I'm sure they can't be that good. But, like I said, I am short on cash... Don't race, and am pretty much only interested in the cars stance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ground Control allows you to pick the spring rates that you want. They even let you choose linear or progressive rate springs. If you don't like the way your car rides with G/C coilovers you have no one to blame but yourself. Unless you bought them from someone else. I have some that are 400lb/in front and 375lb/in rear. They are great, pretty stiff, but good handling! the best part is that you throw in an extra $100 and get the front spring perches and you gain back 3/4" of suspension travel. Our cars need all they can get!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts