DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Connect it to the firewall.

You should have one end of the ground connected to one of the starter bolts (it grounds out through it's housing), and the other end to any grounding surface.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My aftermarket ground guide(maybe not the best but works great). Off the battery run two good grounds of 8ga or higher. One to the strut nut/bolt closest to battery. One to the engine block. Of course make sure all your connections are not on oily surfaces and are lightly sanded or cleaned. Then everything else ground to a solid metal area. DONE. I never got a problem and cranks over fast but i run 0ga grounds off the battery.

If your worried about seeing ground wires like the one going to the strut, then run that ground wire to the firewall area. I just like to ground the engine and the chassis with their own grounds.

Seanaynay25- For us to help you better on that short starter wire issue, we need a little more info. What is your grounding setup now? Meaning, how many grounds are coming off your battery post and where to do they kinda go? If this is the only wire going to the terminal, then do not ground it to the firewall,lol. ..I have to ask.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Fast clicking can be multiple things but usually not enough power getting to the starter.

Do you own a voltmeter? It would be nice to see what the battery voltage is and what it is with a draw to it(headlights on,door open,dome light on). Did the voltage drop really low or stay strong? I did own a probe gt that had the fast click with a good battery. Turned out to be a loose + battery terminal. Then a year later, the ground cable itself was bad. It broke and rusted inside the coating!?

To check your ground the easy way, just use a set of jumper cables. Connect both positive and negative cables to the negative battery post and connect the other ends to the firewall/strut bolts and some good clamping point on the block.

To check your battery the easy way, just jump it with a set of jumper cables from a running car directly to your battery posts(so you can check your wiring) Or charge it, lol

You also might have a faulty power wire or even something else. Do a few checks and we'll see where your at

·
Registered
50 Posts
There no such thing as a ground wire from the starter.
Lol, then what's that hes got in his hand in that picture?

As said by two people already, that very wire is grounded to the transmission housing. When reinstalling the two long 14mm bolts that secure the starter, you put the top-most one thru that wire first, then thru the transmission housing, then it secures the starter behind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.