DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 95 or 96 Jetta VR6 Manual Transmission..i have a
95 Eclipse GS-T..
his mods are just intake

my mods are also just basically intake..but would i beat him running stock 12 psi boost ? How about 15 psi? Just curious if i would beat him and if i would, by how much in a quarter mile..thanks later

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I don't really. know.. but it should be close. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
stock boost levels it will be close, 15psi and you should take him, just make sure you get him off the line, or you may never catch back up to him. Those VR6's are torquey.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You wont stay at 15psi with your stock BOV. Get a 1G BOV and then you can stay at 15psi.

·
Registered
543 Posts
6 banger Mustangs are not fast. If your a bad driver, it may beat you though. Really, really bad driver. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You vs Jetta 1/4th, you should be able to get him by about 2 cars or so if you can get a good launch. VR6s are setup for highways, not 1/4th's.

You vs Mustang, you should be able to pull him by about 2 bus lengths or so if you can get a good launch. V6 mustangs are a joke, I can even pull on from a roll at about 30mph and I only have a GS.

·
Registered
436 Posts
isnt this a kill section

race him and find out for yourself

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just race him and find out. Its not like you are bettinig any money anyways.

·
Registered
80 Posts
99+ v6 stangs are much more potent than the 94-98's. horsepower jumped from 140 to 190 i believe, and i'd imagine theyd have a generous amount of torque. id bet a newer one would at least give a stock gst a run for its money

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
black93TSi said:
99+ v6 stangs are much more potent than the 94-98's. horsepower jumped from 140 to 190 i believe, and i'd imagine theyd have a generous amount of torque. id bet a newer one would at least give a stock gst a run for its money
Yeh, that's true. I can't hold with the new V6 Mustangs :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I can say this.. I've driven a GTI VR-6.. the GTI is much lighter than the Jetta.. its a 6-cyl that is around 2700 lbs stock.. so they're quicker.. and the Talon TSI that I'm buying feels noticeably faster than the GTI did.

The VR6 is a nice engine but it's not too big of a problem especially in the Jettas.. the older VW's with the VR6 are quite a bit lighter however and they FLY. Now the newer 1.8 Turbos you need to look out for, those VW guys can throw a chip in their turbo engine and bump the torque up to somethin like 230 ft/lbs.. I raced one one day with a chip when I was driving around a 94 Mustang GT my dad bought (hes a dealer).. I hated this car by the way, it just had no spirit.. it burned me pretty bad..

But ya im rambling about nonsense, this isn't what you asked for is it :) Lol.. you shouldn't have a problem with a Jetta VR6 you should be able to pull on him.. now on the highway thats a different story..

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should watch out for those VR6 jettas too. I pretty much walk everyone at the streetraces... never raced a DSM though. And btw I have my jetta weighing less then a GTI.

I personally think it would be a close race.

What you really need to watch out for is a VR6T... aftermarket Turbo of course.

I have a video of one walking all over a viper ... those cars are INSANE.

·
Registered
874 Posts
when i first got my gst (1st night i had it) i raced a vr6 gti w/intake and it smoked me

then i got a k&n and 14 psi and completly raped it (like 4-5 carlengths)

if you launch good you should be able to take a vr6 w/ you having minimal (but not no) mods

like teal tsi said
if the vr6 gets you off the line though, you may never catch up, no joke

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think you shoudl have to much trouble. I walk all over those cars around here .

zzzz

Actually if you have the t-25 installed, I doubt won't make 15psi

Get at least a 14b and you should be all set.

Just my $.02

Later

·
Registered
136 Posts
yeah, why are you asking if you would win? Just race and find out, even if you lose its all part of racing. Win some lose some. What are you running in a qtr mile? low 14's? anyways i guess thats just my thoughts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
a jetta? are you joking me...there power band is after like 5 grand..your turbie (im guessing you got the t 2 small) spools by 3 easy, if your really worried just take the catalytic converter off and run open exhaust then you will really woop his ass, when your done with the race go home and put it back for quiet goodness.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dude *trust* me you will smoke him.....I've raced against a jetta v6 at the runs and it was cake. Not only that but I was all stock. As for the v6 stangs they are slow as hell.. all bark and no bite. :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
in the first place i hate most mustangs except like the older one slike the the fastback's and shizzie. but anyways, yea 6 cyl. mustangs are just pointless, i mean such a big car with a 6 cyl? All i know is that they're slow, if you have a DSM, even non i bet you could stay with em.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yea dude trust me youll beat him, my buddy drives a vr6 andit aint shit, until it hits 3rd gear, then its respectable, dont worry, just launch good and youll be fine, they aintshit, and as for the new turbo jettas, they aint shit either, i drove one unmodded, i dunno how theyd do with a couple mods, but stock, it aint shit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.