DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all thank you for your time viewing this thread.

-Now my problem just happened today. Happened after i raced some boosted civic hatch, and the problem is that after i took of second gear started acting up. What i mean by that the car started kinda making a weird noise on RPM higher than 2.5. Actually 2.5-5 RPM. When i turned on the next street and have slowed down the car drove fine if i didn't open up on it. What i did i slowed down to about 25 MPH and slowly shifted it to 2'nd gear and started accelerating. At around 40-48 MPH roughly the car started kinda bogging down and jerking and as soon as i let of the gas went fine. I also have tried that as well again and after i let go of the gas for a sec. and stepped on it again the car took off fine. Its happening in first, second , and third (forth and fifth i haven't had time to). This problem just started happening after that race. I have searched for this problem as well and i have found some interesting and similar threads but i have checked for most of those things and haven't really found an answer. All your help is greatly appreciated :)

(BTW: if your are wondering if i have won that race or not...:rolleyes:...well...YES :cool: i have by about 4 car lengths with the problem happening at the time of race as well xD)

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noise like high rew, but with the regular rew though, dunno how to explain it exactly. Also boost gauges both stock and after market do no jump or anything (if that has anything to do with it). Rews just fine in neutral and BOV goes of just fine as well. (HKS SS BOV)
MODS: HKS Turbo back exhaust
HKS SS BOV
Big 16g EvoIII Turbo
And some small stuff that does not matter.
I have changed O2 Sensor just recently as well with the TPS.
I've also had a bad TPS reading earlyer in the week but thats already taken care of.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Check for boost leaks.

Check for maturity as well. ( track is for racing, city streets is for families )

·
Registered
761 Posts
How are you controling the fuel? SAFCII? I would look into that. My car would miss and buck around 4rpm, ended up leaning out the fuel and that took care of the problem. Not sure if this is your problem. Like mentioned above. Do a boost leak test and let use know what you find.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i will. Also my fuel system is stock, and what do you guys mean by maturity and leaning out the fuel. If it helps also i was really low on gas i dont know if that could of triggered it?

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing that is happening is that the boost gauge should be only going up to 14.7 but now it gets up to 20PSI+. Any suggestions there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
GSX_1988 said:
Yeah i will. Also my fuel system is stock, and what do you guys mean by maturity and leaning out the fuel. If it helps also i was really low on gas i dont know if that could of triggered it?
They mean stop racing around the streets, if you want to do that, buy a honda.
:p

Kidding about the honda part.
But seriously, it's bad news bears.

Like they said, run the boost leak test. My GSX was sputtering up in the 3k rpm area, would bog down, and hit the fuel cutoff at like 4k. Sounds similar but not exactly the same as your situation. Turned out to be a boost leak, a big one. Some places you may want to check are where the intake meets the turbo, or where the upper intercooler pipe connects to the intercooler.

As for your boost gauge reading 20psi, I have no idea. I'm still pretty new to this stuff, so it will take someone with more knowledge than I have to explain why that is happening.

Hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Dude, first of all you need to take a second and read over the things that were already suggested! First and foremost on any boosted car, we have a shit ton of vacuum lines and intercooler pipes/clamps/cuplings, thats why a boost leak test was suggested twice already... I suggest you save yourself the hassle and listen to what people suggest, try it and then reply back with what you found, not come back and keep giving us a bunch of problems that your having... We are not pulling these suggestion out of our ass, "well most of us:p " as we have all been in the position your are at!

With that being said go to www.vfaq.com and browse through it because it sounds like you need to do some reading anyway.. There you will find a cheap and effective way to build your own boost leak tester, what your going to do is hook that tester up to your turbo, "ie where the intake bolts on to the compressor housing" and pressurize your whole intake system with a NICE SIZE air compressor, "with your car OFF." When you do this test its good to start at the boost you plan on running, "in your case I hope its no more than 15psi because your on stock fuel and that might still be too much!"
Once you start pressurizing the system have a friend watch your boost guage until it reaches the amount of boost your aiming for, "or in some cases a little more.." Then your going to listen for leaks, at this point it helps to have a bottle of soapy water to spray around the cuplings, vacuum hoses etc etc... Once your hold 15psi on the guage and its slowly dropping then you know your on the right track.. Then your going to bolt your intake back on and repeat the same steps only testing from your throttle body elbow, "where the upper intercooler piping meets the t/b." Once you do that come back and we will be happy to give you more suggestions if that doesn't fix part of the problem..

Oh and just because I hate to see newbs blow up there cars, obviously keep out of boost until you fix your 20psi "Boost Creep, I suspect" problem! If you don't know what boost creep is search it and you will find that the evo3 16g is very prone to boost creep, specially if your running full "catless exhaust."

·
Registered
517 Posts
Listen to turbolover, he know what he is talking about. Boost leaks are everywhere, they suck. Test it like he suggested and go from there. If you don't have t bolt clams on your piping, I would say to get some even if you don't have boost leaks.

This thread started off about your tranny right? Do you still think that your tranny is the culpret, or do you think that you are bogging down for other reasons?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
spyder79 said:
Yeah, running 20psi with a 16g on a stock fuel system is scary. Turn down your boost to around 12psi untill you fiqure out your problem.
Chances are he wont be able to turn down his boost, I could be wrong but its highly unlikely.. If you were running 12-15psi with the e3 turbo before then you might be one of the lucky ones but if you just put full exhaust on your car and deleted the cat and the boost now shoots up to 20+psi then like I said, BOOST CREEP! Which will have to be solved by one of two things, Porting the shit out of the wastegate passage and o2 housing or going external, "which can be pricy."

In his situation, if he doesn't have an air compressor already, he would be better off buying an air compressor, some carbide bits and doing the porting himself.. Seriously, "a monkey could do it.." Then you'll have the air compressor for your boost leaks tests because you will always need to blt your car when any situation arises.. That just my opinon though... Hopefully I'm wrong about the boost creep..

Rockbmx1 said:
Listen to turbolover, he know what he is talking about. Boost leaks are everywhere, they suck. Test it like he suggested and go from there. If you don't have t bolt clams on your piping, I would say to get some even if you don't have boost leaks.
+1, t-bolt clamps definitely help when it comes to boost leaks!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
turbolover said:
Chances are he wont be able to turn down his boost, I could be wrong but its highly unlikely.. If you were running 12-15psi with the e3 turbo before then you might be one of the lucky ones but if you just put full exhaust on your car and deleted the cat and the boost now shoots up to 20+psi then like I said, BOOST CREEP! Which will have to be solved by one of two things, Porting the shit out of the wastegate passage and o2 housing or going external, "which can be pricy."

In his situation, if he doesn't have an air compressor already, he would be better off buying an air compressor, some carbide bits and doing the porting himself.. Seriously, "a monkey could do it.." Then you'll have the air compressor for your boost leaks tests because you will always need to blt your car when any situation arises.. That just my opinon though... Hopefully I'm wrong about the boost creep..

+1, t-bolt clamps definitely help when it comes to boost leaks!

No the exhaust has been there for a while, and yes i am laying of the boost by just riding in low RPM's. I changed few gaskets but I am gonna get the items needed for the boost check and go from there. I appreciate all of your suggestions and now I'll go from there. Will let you know asap if i discover the problem or not. Thanks again to all of you much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I replaced few hoses and gaskets, the after market boost gauge shows regular PSI boost. But the Stock Gauge starts climbing way up. I haven't really payed attention to the stock gauge before, but is that normal or is it abnormal or what ever.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
spyder79 said:
As far as the stock boost gauge goes, its normal for it to shoot way up under boost. But it is pretty much usless to use
+1, if your aftermarket boost guage is reading boost then thats the only thing you need to worry about. Just curious whats your vacuum at idle on the aftermarket boost gauge?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.