DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago I raced this maxima from a stop(not much of a race really), anyways two days ago I'm driving minding my own bussiness on my way home and I see this car tailgating me. I step on it just a bit so he can get next to me.... when I look over I noticed is the same Maxima....
him: is that a GSX(no badges on my car)
me: yep
him: aaaaahhh that's why you beat me last time!!!!
me: :rolleyes:
him: wanna go again from a roll.... I'll take you now
me: sure why not

we both go.. i'm in second and by the top of second he was almost 3 cars behind..... third he was too far for me to guess on the amout of cars :D ..... anyway he passes by we give each other tumbs up ;) ........ even though it wasn't much of a race I though it was funny since he swore the only reason I beat him last time was because of my launch

·
Registered
19 Posts
good race.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
JayHäss said:
Please tell me you're talking about the 190hp version.
no kidding.
new maxima's are no joke trust me.
One handled me well when I was bone stock :(
6 speed 255HP stock out of a 3.5L V6 is no joke.
too bad FWD :(
But the new max's are also a great fine line of luxury and sport.
If you look closely they resemble R-34 Skylines a bit.
With the brand new ones especially...the 2003's..
They have the 'afterburner' tail lights and the shape of the headlamps resembles an R-34.
Very sexy cars.
just 4 doors and FWD but a 6-speed 255hp none the less :)
My kind of car.

However their downside is their weight.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
infury said:

However their downside is their weight.
This coming from the owner of an S4. :)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
BadDSM said:

This coming from the owner of an S4. :)
at least I can attest mine to AWD :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
good kill, i have a freind that has an auto gsx pretty much stock, and i saw him walk all over a newer maxima. it was funny as hell. this kid thought he was gonna put in some work on his car! pssssshhhh take that maxima home buddy! and by the way Rick99gsx can i have your big brakes???? :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
infury said:

at least I can attest mine to AWD :)

Fair enough.
Have you taken it to the track yet?
There is a Bright Yellow Intrax S4 that cruises around where I work In Irvine,CA.
It is slammed on some huge (19"?) rims and sounds mean.
You may know of the car, it had a brief highlight in last months SCC magazine.
I have wanted to get a race with it just for the hell of it but it always seems to be going the other way.
:)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
[email protected]
No concrete HP numbers but I actuate somewhere between 330-335

I'm know for a fact that it could be run at least .1 faster with a better driver.
I'm not horrible but I'm no expert.
I've been to the track and actually driven maybe 3 times.

EDIT:
BTW that was on pump gas.
Someone told me if I put some nice high octane in there the audi's respond very well. He said I could easily get into 12's but I don't think so. I don't doubt I could hit 12's but not easily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
not sure the year or HP

To be honest I'm not sure what year the maxima was but it looked like a newer body style.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
newer could be anywhere from 99 (I think thats when they changed it to the current gen.) to 03.
02 was the year they got 255hp.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
the new maximas with a decent drivers hit mid 14's. One guy has supposidly hit a high 13"stock"

i'm sure that is with weight reduction or SOMETHING.

either way, they are said to be sold mid-high 14 sec cars. Which is faster than a stock dsm :***(

whats with all these cars being so fast now????

·
Registered
551 Posts
I test drove a new 6 speed maxima, right after test driving a subaru WRX. Ill have to say, the maxima felt just as fast if not faster. From a roll, i think the maxima would even edge it out and beat the Suby. Those are definately no joke, i would love to have a fast four door car! Anyone wanna trade me their G-VR4 for a 92 TSi AWD with a rebuilt engine 20k ago? :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Steeltwo said:
the new maximas with a decent drivers hit mid 14's. One guy has supposidly hit a high 13"stock"

i'm sure that is with weight reduction or SOMETHING.

either way, they are said to be sold mid-high 14 sec cars. Which is faster than a stock dsm :***(

whats with all these cars being so fast now????
I watched two 6sp, LSD equipped 255hp Maxima's go 14.2-14.4 all day at E-Town and they were stone stock right down to the tires and floormats.

I was pretty impressed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
JayHäss said:

I watched two 6sp, LSD equipped 255hp Maxima's go 14.2-14.4 all day at E-Town and they were stone stock right down to the tires and floormats.

I was pretty impressed.
Do you happen to remember what they were trapping?

·
Registered
319 Posts
A 2002 Maxima 6speed ran at the track down here too. He only made one pass and ran a [email protected] I was very impressed.

My mom has a 00 Maxima 5speed, the 225 hp version. Very nice car too. Raced a 3000GT SL on the freeway briefly and we were dead even from 60-100. Id take an 02 though if someone gave it to me. Torque steer is a mother I heard though.

Another Nissan note:
At the track a manual V6 Altima (240hp) raced a Boxster:
14.60--->Altima
14.76--->Boxster

LOL It was great....I got it on video too.

·
Honorary Moderator
4,838 Posts
Actually from "tests" the V6 Altima is faster (by tenths) than the V6 Maxima, both 0-60 and in the 1320. They weigh almost the same.:dunno:

·
Registered
463 Posts
diambo4life said:
Actually from "tests" the V6 Altima is faster (by tenths) than the V6 Maxima, both 0-60 and in the 1320. They weigh almost the same.:dunno:
The dyno doesn't lie and the Maxima is clearly 10-15hp stronger in every pass.

The acceleration difference in magazines is well...in a magazine.

The helical equiped Maxima will flat KILL an Altima out of the hole. What kills published numbers is the close ratio 6spd in the Maxi forces shift just before key measuring points while the 5spd in the Altima does not have this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any time you guys start feeling down about all these cars that are faster stock-for-stock than your DSMs... just think of my Sentra. You'll feel better. :)

Seriously, the new Nissans (both the Max and the V6 Alti are powered by the same engine, which is also in the Pathfinder, the 350Z, the Infiniti G35 and the G35 Sport Coupe) are all good news to me. Nissan hasn't quite got it all right yet, but they're getting back to the philosophy that appeals to the real driving enthusiasts among us while at the same time maintaining a cost-effective "parts bin" strategy that helps them cut costs without having to make excessive cuts in quality. It also means that Nissan/Infiniti owners have a lot of freedom to swap equipment between their cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts