DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got a set of H&R sport springs (1.7/1.4") drop. I also go four brand new Kyb GR-2 shocks.

I will be installing these this weekend. Is there anything that I should look out for or anything I should think about modding or changing while down there?

I plan on doing the $15 rear camber mod too. I don't have a spring compressor, do u think I will need one?? I have 113k miles on my car and springs and shocks are shot to hell.

I am gonna try and take pictures of the before and after.

·
Registered
219 Posts
you WILL need a spring compressor, and doing springs on a manual spring compressor is a PAIN IN THE ASS, with non- power tools. Be prepared for at LEAST 5 hrs of work.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
heat the bolts and nuts up.. they will be ulta bitches to get off. believe me.. I spent 3 hours trying to get the first bolt off when I did my coilovers. lol. the shocks and springs will go easy once you get the idea of exactly what you're doing. good luck. :)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
iLLt3ck said:
you WILL need a spring compressor, and doing springs on a manual spring compressor is a PAIN IN THE ASS, with non- power tools. Be prepared for at LEAST 5 hrs of work.
5 hours? I guess if you smoke some dope first. My friend and I did his AGXs in just over 3 hours and with a manual spring compressor and no power tools.

·
Registered
130 Posts
5 hours? I guess if you smoke some dope first. My friend and I did his AGXs in just over 3 hours and with a manual spring compressor and no power tools

ISn't that the only way to work on a car? Seriously though, I've done a spring/strut swap in just 2 hours w/ hand tools, no power.

Rob
90 Eclipse GSX

·
Registered
219 Posts
V8SpankR said:

5 hours? I guess if you smoke some dope first. My friend and I did his AGXs in just over 3 hours and with a manual spring compressor and no power tools.
Well I cant say at that time I was the most mechanically inclined and we had a LOT of problems pop up, namely the weird bolt set up on the top of the strut towers on my sentra. Thats 5 hrs + breaks etc. Also most shops charge for 2hr's labor per corner = 8 hrs.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,969 Posts
What you could do is call up a shock shop, and ask how much they would charge to put the springs in the shocks for you. That's what I did, I had a connection there, I think they charged me about $40 for all four. Just something for you to look into.
BTW, I had that same combo on my 93, and don't expect those GR-2s to last more than 2 or 3 years with those springs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
TalonSpeed, what part of NC are you in? I see in your sig NCSU, if so, drop me a PM. We can swap the springs @ my work no prob.

Watch for worn bumpstops, you may need to get new ones. And trim a little off each one to allow for teh amount of drop in your springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, it takes others longer, and others shorter time. If the bolts came off easy for you, then it will take less time. It took so long to get the bolts off. Nearly 7, 7 1/2 hrs for the job. I dropped my 98 talon w/intraxs and gr2's. Let me tell ya, the gr2's are terrible, the ride is sooo bouncy.
Ive got a question.. If i put my stock struts/shocks back on, would the ride be lower??I am about 1.5" right now, and i would love to go to about 2", or around there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts