DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh yeah!

I just finished up installing upgraded headlights on my wife's '90 Talon. I only have three words here, "That daylight's sweet!"
She was very appreciative. ;)

Daylight it is too, compared to even the "upgraded" Sylvania 4666CB sealed beam units I had in there. I went with some H4 "sealed beam" conversion units from JC Whitney (part #88ZX9846B) with 80W100 H4 bulbs. I had her test drive it earlier so we could check the new headlight's aim for her and also test out if oncoming traffic was blinded by them. We drove around for quite awhile and not one person blinked, yet it is phenominally better vision wise, brightness wise and the high beams are Hella bad... There is basically a "cut-off line" of light below and darkness above making aiming very easy and very common sense.

With all new 12G wiring, new connections, H4 conversion pigtail connectors (customized for 12G wire by me,) two RY-88 blower relays($$) with dual 87 out terminals, the new light bulb housings, bulbs and what not, I spent about $150 or so. About the same as a kit I've seen on line for this. I got all of the relays, wire and new connections at my local Carquest.

The conversion headlamp unit that I ordered, is not a "perfect" replacement, but is extremely close in size. It is glass and metal not plastic. On a normal 1G headlamp, there are these bumps of glass on the corners of the backside of the bulb. This particular conversion unit has metal tabs in place of the glass ones and I had to tweak them to get a good fit. Not a problem and it rests snug in the "bulb ring clamp" that holds the bulbs in to a 1G's headlight housing. It is nice and firm and doesn't move around at all.

The real test will be in inclement weather which we'll get to test out in a day or two up here. I'm sure she'll say something (good or bad?) and I'll make sure to retest drive it in some snow/rain at night asap as well and update this thread with more info.

These lights rock thus far, I'll have them on my Talon asap. I'd highly recommend them if you drive in dark rural areas or if you just like to see at 90 MPH!

If you attempt this mod yourself on your 1G:

(The stock wire colors I mention were found on the '90 Talon.)

Run two new 12 gauge wires from the alternator's output terminal to your two new relay's terminal 30 and install a fused link in each new wire close to the alternator.

Use the stock red wire with a blue stripe to feed terminal 86 on both relays. This wire is your stock headlight feed, which we are now just using to power each relay trigger circuit.

Use the stock Red wire to trigger your High beam relay, by connecting it to terminal 85 on the relay for the high beam. **You have to wire relay terminal 85 in our cars up to the "down" side of the headlamp circuit! DSM's use the ground circuit to complete the headlamp circuit.** You can't just ground terminal 85 to the frame/body.

Use the stock Red w/white stripe wire to trigger your Low beam relay, by connecting it to terminal 85 on the relay for the Low beam.

Run a 12G wire from each of the two Low beam relay 87 terminals to each headlight's Lo beam connection. One to the passenger side headlight and one to the driver's side healight.
Run a 12G wire from each of your two Hi beam relay's 87 terminals to each headlight's Hi beam connection. Again, one to each headlight's backside.

Each headlight will also need a new 12G ground wire from the headlight to this nice and convenient bolt right behind each light.

The new H4 light connection looks like " l _ l ". Three prongs in the shape of a broken "U." Looking at it this way, from behind the bulb; the left side vertical standing prong is your Hi beam connection, the right side vertical standing prong is your Ground connection and the bottom horizontal laying prong is your Lo beam connection.

My two relays are behind the passenger side headlight and I used the passenger side headlight's stock headlight wiring (three wires) for the triggers and the grounds to the relays as outlined above. I now have two new 12g feed wires from the alternator to the relays, four new 12g wires to each headlight from the relays, and two new 12g ground wires one from each headlight to a ground.

Enjoy some light from your 1G at night! These in addition to the 55w foglights I already had on her Talon make driving it at night pure sweetness. Gotta do mine now. :D

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
I have had the H4 headlights on my car for a year or so. I got mine from TurboTrix. All that came in the kit were the two Hella H4 housings, two adapters, and two bulbs that were rated a little higher than stock wattage. I went ahead and picked up a set of 80/100w bulbs from JC Whitney to use instead. Same style, just higher wattage (90/130w is also available).

All I did to hook them up was run three short pieces of 12GA wire that jumped between the adapter and the stock female headlight plug, as per the wiring diagram that was provided. No relays or extra grounds or anything. Nothing of the sort was mentioned in the instructions either. I'm wondering why you had to go through all that trouble. :confused: Was it your idea, to take load away from the thin, stock wiring?

So far mine have held up fine. Just gotta protect the connections from corrosion.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nukefission said:
All I did to hook them up was run three short pieces of 12GA wire that jumped between the adapter and the stock female headlight plug, as per the wiring diagram that was provided. No relays or extra grounds or anything. Nothing of the sort was mentioned in the instructions either. I'm wondering why you had to go through all that trouble. :confused: Was it your idea, to take load away from the thin, stock wiring?
I thought I'd revisit this review as she and I both have had the chance to drive the car in the snow a few times now.

First to answer Victor's question... Yes, I ran all new 12 awg wires from the alternator output terminal to the relays and to the lights so that there is decent voltage at the lamps and to prevent any possibilty of burning up the stock wires with these bulbs in her car. If her lights went out, I wouldn't get any for days. I can't have that now... ;)

Anyways, they have performed very well. She hasn't had anybody blink their highs at her. You'd think they would for having 80w lo beams.

During blizzard conditions, like the Enterprise's main screen at warp nine... The amount of additional glare with these "cheaper" non brand-name bulb housings is absolutely negligible.
The better, brighter light, way outweighs ANY noticeable additional glare.
I swear they compare to HID lights. When I pull up next to an expensive Audi out here in pitchblack, on the freeway at night, the driver will always turn their head to see what I'm/we're driving, buwahahahaha!

·
Honorary Moderator
1,362 Posts
Well I have noticed that everyone that posted in this thread has an early 1G (90-91). I am looking for a new lamp that will fit on the more "ergonimic" 93 lamp style.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I would hate to only be able to run new wires in there and not see better at night.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Iceman21 said:
Well I have noticed that everyone that posted in this thread has an early 1G (90-91). I am looking for a new lamp that will fit on the more "ergonimic" 93 lamp style.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I would hate to only be able to run new wires in there and not see better at night.

Thanks guys.
You can prolly just drop some higher wattage bulbs in there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i recently tried to swp my H4666 headligts for some similar after market lights with H4 lamps. however i can not get the new lights to come on.

i cut the connector for the h466 light looks like:
_
|
/ (or something similar to that)

and replaced it with a standard (pigtail) connector for H4 lights which looks like:
_
|
_

i followed the wiring diagram to ensure the hi beam was connected to the correct wires & same for the other 2 wires as well. i measure the voltage without the light connected at the new connector & got ~12V where i was supposed to but when i connect the lamp nothing happens. actually my batter y was not fully charged & only measured 11+ volts but it should still power the lamp. the battery has enuff power to turn on my foglights so i know it should have enuff juice for the headlight as well. right?

i even switched the 2 power wires leaving the ground wire intact & still nothing.

has anyone done this replacement & had power problems? or have any ideas on who to resolve???

·
Registered
615 Posts
Damn that thread is old. Is there a kit that has all the materials already provided and is an easy install? I was also thinking of this conversion but am a little apprehensive about messing with wiring.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Whoa! That look so sick! I wanna do that. How?? I also like how the light is seeping through to the intercooler at the bottom. That would look so sick if you do that with h.i.d's.

·
Honorary Moderator
1,362 Posts
The guy from arctic racing is a memeber here, I have pm'ed him about the process and parts that he used. That was about a month ago. I haven't heard back from him yet.

It does look great.

·
Registered
109 Posts
anyone with suggestions on what to do? (buying another kit is not an option :D )

kahlilj said:
i recently tried to swp my H4666 headligts for some similar after market lights with H4 lamps. however i can not get the new lights to come on.

i cut the connector for the h466 light looks like:
_
|
/ (or something similar to that)

and replaced it with a standard (pigtail) connector for H4 lights which looks like:
_
|
_

i followed the wiring diagram to ensure the hi beam was connected to the correct wires & same for the other 2 wires as well. i measured the voltage without the light connected at the new connector & got ~12V where i was supposed to but when i connect the lamp nothing happens. (actually my battery was not fully charged & only measured 11+ volts but it should still power the lamp.) the battery has enuff power to turn on my foglights so i know it should have enuff juice for the headlight as well. right?

i even switched the 2 power wires leaving the ground wire intact & still nothing.

has anyone done this replacement & had power problems? or have any ideas on who to resolve???

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
razorawd said:
I fabricated something very similar.
Problem was the vibration from my stiff ass suspension kept blowing cheapbulbs. I purchased some PIAA bulbs for $60 and haven't had any problems since.
I am taking the car apart soon and will take some more detailed shots to post.

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is a bit off the subject but were you at the show on Saturday night at 123 off of route 95?? I know there was Team Trinity up there as well as some other DSM and your car looks familiar.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Yes I was there with that car.
You belong to Team Trinity???
I heard from someone one of their member(s) was talking trash about me/my car, but I never recieved a challenge. If they decide to make one I will take them up on it ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts