DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently 'acquired' an intake from a junkyard out in the country and I wanna hack it up and then put it on my friend car w/a datalogger. I wanna see if I can make his car faster. [90 TSi AWD 5-speed(only a DP and K&N)] What can I all do to this MAS to make add HP. He has no means of fuel control, so I can't completely hack. Will a PocketLogger help me w/this? - have it on backorder. What has everyone else done, and what is safe? Any input WILL be tried by my Guinea MAS. Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
GoldÐiamond said:
I recently 'acquired' an intake from a junkyard out in the country and I wanna hack it up and then put it on my friend car w/a datalogger. I wanna see if I can make his car faster. [90 TSi AWD 5-speed(only a DP and K&N)] What can I all do to this MAS to make add HP. He has no means of fuel control, so I can't completely hack. Will a PocketLogger help me w/this? - have it on backorder. What has everyone else done, and what is safe? Any input WILL be tried by my Guinea MAS. Thanks.
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/filter.html

http://www.dsm.org/how-tos/JFM/MAF_Mod.html

From my experances all you want to do is take the lower screen out and back the bypass screw all the way out until its smooth for air to pass by it. I did try and port the lower bypass tube out but for me the car ran very lean.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that does help, does every other modding people do to the MAS require fuel control? (i.e. resistor on IAT sensor/wire)||||| Which screw is it? What's the threaded hole thats green in color, about 3/8 "- on the top? I will go to the links too----thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
GoldÐiamond said:
Yeah that does help, does every other modding people do to the MAS require fuel control? (i.e. resistor on IAT sensor/wire)||||| Which screw is it? What's the threaded hole thats green in color, about 3/8 "- on the top? I will go to the links too----thanks
When you take your filter off of your MAS, you will see two screens, one big(upper) and the lower which is the smaller screen.
The big part of the MAS you do not want to fuck with, this is where the ecu gets its data from. You can see if you look in there a receiver and ultrasonic transmitter.
The lower half is the bypass air part. From what I have read, not sure if its true or not but anyway- this is how mitsu calibrated the MAS, so basically they all flow the same amount of counted air. The more bypass air the leaner(less air gets counted by the ecu) your car runs, and as your you lean your car out the harder it is to run into fuel cut.
The screw is in the bypass part, you have to take the MAS out of the airfilter housing to get at it, you will see it filled with silicone. Dig it out with a flat blade srew driver and then you will be able to turn it out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just read your post, and thats what it said on one of your links, and I have just removed the lower honeycombs and have back off the screw w/silicone on top. Why, on the step before telling you to back off the screw, does it say remove the "plug"? -I see no plug in that area, only the screw. Anyway, I did those 3 things: lower HC's removed, screw backed up, and silencer removed. Right now I am waiting for my K&N filter to dry from the cleaner, then I am going to re-oil it and put it all together. Also, I am going to attach the filter to the base (metal) of the housing and make a bracket to hold filter firm. (leaving out the cylindrical part, and horn of the housing) Does this sound good? A few HP on my buddy's car? Is my Pocketlogger going to make my testing more affirmative in this area?

Where are you from in WI? I live in Milwaukee.

·
Registered
57 Posts
GoldÐiamond said:
Ok, I just read your post, and thats what it said on one of your links, and I have just removed the lower honeycombs and have back off the screw w/silicone on top. Why, on the step before telling you to back off the screw, does it say remove the "plug"? -I see no plug in that area, only the screw. Anyway, I did those 3 things: lower HC's removed, screw backed up, and silencer removed. Right now I am waiting for my K&N filter to dry from the cleaner, then I am going to re-oil it and put it all together. Also, I am going to attach the filter to the base (metal) of the housing and make a bracket to hold filter firm. (leaving out the cylindrical part, and horn of the housing) Does this sound good? A few HP on my buddy's car? Is my Pocketlogger going to make my testing more affirmative in this area?

Where are you from in WI? I live in Milwaukee.

I live in New Richmond, WI. Damn thats not far from Milwaukee. Right now I am going to school at UTI and living in Glendale Heights, Illinois. It's pretty fun down here, I am learning a junk load about cars.
Will have to get together sometime and do some V8 killing. lol

When I did this mod I swear my car had around 40 more hp, but it was long time ago. What I did on my car was, drilled out the rivets of the plastic part of the aircan and did a little bit of dremeling to keep the stock mounting points. Boy that really woke my car up, you could actually hear the turbo. Your way sounds very good!
Try and take that MAS screw all the way out just take it out completely. After doing the MAS mod and turning my boost up to 14 psi, the clutch wouldn't hold at low rpms as the turbo would spool. All other things being stock. FUN!
I have no idea what the hell the "PLUG" means?
What does your buddy have done to his car? Let me know how she runs.

Jason

·
Registered
943 Posts
my guess the 'plug' is the silicone over the screw to keep you from playing with it...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I live in New Richmond, WI. Damn thats not far from Milwaukee. Right now I am going to school at UTI and living in Glendale Heights, Illinois. It's pretty fun down here, I am learning a junk load about cars.
Will have to get together sometime and do some V8 killing. lol

Jason
What are you going to school for? Sorry, but the car in my sig is the only car I have right now, as I am going to school. The only "killing" I do is STANDARD to DX Civics and shopping carts. (same thing really, LOL) ||||||||Anyway, my friend only has a DP + K&N. I'll test it out and tell you about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts