DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where should i start??? i bought my 1g fwd turbo 2 years ago with 92,XXX miles on it. since then, i have replaced the clutch, countless vacuum lines, the entire exhaust, 2 turbos, an intercooler, a plugs & wires, the list goes on. last week the thing started running like shit and died after filling up on 93 octane. after being in the shop for a week, they tell me that the fuel pump is shot because it sucked some debri into it. no problem, they agree to put in my walbro that i just bought. in the process of removing the old pump, the rusted ass tank falls apart. i am told i need a new one to the tune of $1,100. i get one from a bone yard for $50. the dealership calls me and tells me that i will have to get a new fuel pump assembly, that costs $420. the walbro was missing something they say, so they put in the new tank and new pump and assembly. total cost, $684. the car was fine for 4 hours, and the same damn thing happened. i will call the dealer tomorrow morning, and then i will go car shopping. i have had it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think EVERY dsm owner here has had those kinds of days

just recently i found out i got a used door on my passenger side off a white dsm LOL
so it happens to the best of us...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey man, I know how you feel...dunno have 1G owners feel...but the feeling you get when you're drivin that sexy beast up to a club while a hot chick is checking you out....It's worth it.
Currently my DSM is at a shop, insurance peeps are still debating if they'll repair the car or write it off. :\

·
Registered
793 Posts
originally posted by jfa_16
the dealership calls me........................................the walbro was missing something they say, so they put in the new tank and new pump and assembly.
there's your problem. Dealerships always screw you over, but they always seem to do in a nice manner. you know, always sugar coating everything they say so you end up forking out the cash

all the stuff you named (clutch, turbo, intercooler, plugs& wires, exhaust) is stuff that you would typically upgrade anyway. its not like you fried a piston or the T-Belt went.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you sell it just because of that... your an idiot... I'm sorry but you are. Those are very common problems. You want to know what you have to keep up on??

Try this on for size...

New fuel tank *Rusted*
New ENGINE *Frozen*
New Chassis *Snapped*
Repair Body *Mice used to live in it and its rusted because of their crap*
New Interior *Mice*

SCREW IT!! I'm building a whole new damn car!! Its sitting in my garage right now waiting for a new transmission and to get some of the rust spots off of it... The body is off of the Chassis...

You know why I keep it?? Because its fun, because at the end of the day when its running, its all worth it.

The things you listed... they happen all in good time, its just what happens with an older car. If you cant live with that, go to the damn Honda dealer and get yourself a brand new Civic... It'll be slow but you wont have as many problems with it...

Edit : You know what.. your right, sell it... You shouldn't even be into cars. If you cant handle little crap like that... just stay stock and get an extended warrenty or something... If you want to keep it... you can do your fuel tank yourself. If another Human get take it out and put a new one in, I'm sure anybody else out there can do it if they take their time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the club!! I absolutely HATE my car also. I seriously don't care about how it looks or runs anymore. I've pretty much had it with this one. Last night I popped the hood to see what the hell was up with it cutting out and I hear this ticking. So I look to where it's coming from and one of my fucking $90 Magnecore wires is shorting out on the valve cover. I couldn't believe it! I told some other people on here that I met up with and they couldn't either.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE 1g's but yeah, mine sucks. I'm gonna start looking hard core for another bike next week, so that should make me happy:D Stupid car...

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
furthur update for those who care: the dealership tells me that the car is still acting up and that they give up. they say that since i have an aftermarket turbo and that i have removed factory solenoids and vacuum lines that they will not be able to find out what the problem is (i know that the turbo has nothing to do with my problem, but we all know how dealerships are). they recommed that i take the car to a high performance shop who is familiar with the car. i will keep this car, but i am looking for a more reliable daily driver (maybe a turbo audi or vw). this car seems better suited to be a weekend warrior anyway. i hate cars.........i will either take it to buschurs or wait until i have time to piss with it myself.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds like typical maintenance on an almost 13 year old car that lives in the rust belt. (I'm still floored by the amount of salt they lay down in OH and PA vs CT)

Might I suggest a Hyundia? It has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. You'll probably be much happier. Roadside assistance to boot, you won't even have to get your hands dirty, just dial the phone. A sporty Tiburon sounds like more your speed and it's got a peppy v6 to boot.

IMO the dealership is on the money. It's a modified car, they don't want to spend the time to try and fix someones "aftermarket modifications". Very few dealers will deal with modified cars...and with good reason.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've replaced 75% of what you listed within a year, although only one turbo for me.

Let's see, Full exhaust (maybe not so much because of me wanting to upgrade, but I poked a hole in my stock catback with my finger. Swwweeet) , blown turbo, lots of vacuum lines, clutch, clutch slave cylinder, multiple flatbed calls, a new rim because 2G stock 17 inch rims are made out of tinfoil, a new stereo head unit (Stock one was stolen), fresh plugs, new spark plug wires, the front end is hacked to shit, lots of door ding shit all over the place, my brake rotors are just about shot, the leather interior is just about done for, the rear tint looks ghetto because they did a shitty job, paint scratches randomly cover it....

My car is five years old. It's my daily driven decathalete (All forms of racing, spare pro rally and ice racing).

Oh, and don't go to Mitsu dealers unless they're DSM friendly. I know of one a little ways (hour or so) from me.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
That was your first mistake... taking it to the dealership. (do the work yourself) And let's not even go there with the parts lists. I'm sure I have a lot of you guys beat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts